You will work on maintaining and enhancing our existing solutions, architecting and developing new customer solutions, and providing technical support to our users.
In return, we will provide a supportive work environment with the flexibility to participate in scheduled work release training with QA. Whilst in the workplace, you will receive continual coaching, help and guidance and the opportunity to work across a number of key Infrastructure, Cloud and Applications teams.
- Apprentice DevOps engineer
- Writing and maintaining scripts in a virtualisation environment
- Writing and maintaining scripts for a Software Defined network
- Involved in the specification and implementation of the new service
- Working within agile teams
- Be part of daily stand-ups providing status updates on progress and blockers
- Contributing to the DevOps continuum; Plan, code, build, test, release, deploy, operate, monitor
- Use of tools as a DevOps Engineer, such as repos, version control, testing, deployment etc. These will include open-source type tools, e.g. Git, Jenkins, Selenium, and vendor specific such as Microsoft Azure and VMWare
- Work with scripting and coding languages such as Python, JSON, .NET, Puppet
- Understanding and documenting the existing infrastructure and CI/CD processes including the integration of security and quality tooling
- Developing CI/CD pipelines using Powershell for greater reliability and reduced downtime
The role offers long term security and the opportunity to progress into a permanent position.
As per the Government’s regulations:
- Must hold or be eligible for SC clearance thus must be 18 years of age at the date of application
- Must be a Full British National with no dual nationality/citizenship as the Client’s roles are Reserved Posts
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.
Preferred personal skills (not essential)
- Excellent practical knowledge of networks fundamentals, TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, DHCP, Firewalls etc.
- Strong knowledge of AWS or similar modern cloud infrastructure providers
- Strong experience implementing and administering load balancing and reverse proxy’s (NGINX)
- Experience of administering and deploying development CI/CD tools (Jira, Jenkins, Git, Terraform)
- Experience with infrastructure scripting solutions such as PowerShell
- Significant experience with Windows and Linux operating system environments
- Familiar with container orchestration services such as Docker
- Will always keep the customer experience in mind
- Takes data privacy and system security seriously in all they do and implement
- Has excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with a passion for automation and operational efficiency
- Ability to work independently and in group environments
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, Agile environment
- Level 3 qualification (apprenticeship/A-levels/BTEC etc.) OR
- Equivalent work experience in a relevant role - min. 2 years
- 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and maths)
Why choose our DevOps Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship?
Our DevOps Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship focuses on implementing and facilitating the use of DevOps practices within a business.
The DevOps Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship programme encompasses multiple stages of the software development life cycle, automating processes around development, testing and release for continuous integration of new features, and subsequent continuous delivery of a product.
QA’s DevOps Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship programme enables the apprentice to:
- Work as part of a larger team and understand the context of both the development and technical operations aspects of a project in order to streamline communication between teams
- Interpret design documentation and specifications defined and delivered by specialist members of the team, such as a business analyst or technical architect
- Understand a combination of strong theoretical DevOps concepts further solidified with industry-standard tooling education in building, containerisation, orchestration and deployment
- Gain access to a large portfolio of learning for both general-purpose and cloud-vendor specific tooling in AWS, Azure and GCP
- Explore the developer skills needed for learners to create applications through Python with connected databases, practising TDD and OOP