At Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), we're here to provide for the Armed Forces, as they serve our country all over the world. We support those on the front line by providing cutting-edge equipment and technology for land, sea, air and space. We deliver the kit the UK military needs to maintain advantage and stay protected, as they protect life at home and overseas.
You want to be an expert in your field one day. We want to help make it happen. Whichever area you join us in, you’ll discover new talents, pinpoint new ambitions, find a home among a diverse team – and be empowered to turn your gifts into an incredible career. Ready for real investment in your future? We’re developing tomorrow’s talent today.
What sets DE&S apart is the focus we put on you. We help you find your flair and then plan a flourishing career around what you love. And along the way, you’ll enjoy real rewards for the work you do, with competitive benefits and career progression. As a DE&S apprentice, you’ll find real support to reach your potential – so you can become a leader in your field.
As part of our team, you'll benefit from plenty of routes for development, access to specialist training and funding for professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more.
DE&S are looking for talented, motivated and skilled apprentices to join our Project Delivery Apprenticeship Scheme and become our project delivery professionals of the future.
This two-year scheme will develop your knowledge and understanding of how our projects are delivered, gaining an insight into project management and project control tools and techniques including scheduling, risk management and Cost Control (Cost Estimating and Cost Control Engineering).
You’ll work towards studying for the Association of Project Managers (APM) Project Management Qualification (PMQ) to attain a Level 4 Associate Project Manager Apprenticeship, upon scheme completion. You’ll also undertake project placements that’ll give you the opportunity to build skills and experience while you play an active role in helping your team to meet their promises to their military end customer. Placements will be principally with Cost Engineering with some exposure to Estimating within the Air Domain. Once you’ve successfully completed the apprenticeship, you’ll be offered a permanent role in Cost Engineering in DE&S.
Due to the classification of work this role is only open to Sole UK Nationals.
Please note we are also recruiting for 77 additional roles based in Bristol – and 1 in Portsmouth - if you would like to learn more about these roles please search for 257780 (Bristol) 257789 (Portsmouth) on Civil Service Jobs.
You’ll be involved in the following:
- Developing and documenting components of projects as required by the Project Team.
- Planning, scheduling and risk management.
- Monitoring progress and reporting.
- Compiling data to support business cases, and customer presentations.
- Building and maintaining a network of internal business contacts and peers to share and gain knowledge and identify opportunities to learn and develop.
- Building awareness and understanding of how the Project Delivery function works including the roles of the different sub-functions Cost Control and – and how the DE&S functions Cost Estimating and Cost Control Engineering, work together to deliver projects.
It takes lots of different people and lots of different skill sets to keep the UK Armed Forces fully equipped and well supported.
To be successful with your application, we are looking for you to demonstrate your potential to succeed in a dynamic working environment. We’re here to help you find your speciality, we hire for aptitude and train for skills.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBTQ+ communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
You must have the right of abode in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the EEA (including other countries determined within the EEA or those with bilateral agreements), for at least the previous three years on the first day of learning.
As a result of the changes to the UK immigration rules which came into effect on 1 January 2021, the Ministry of Defence will only offer sponsorship for a skilled worker visa under the points-based system, where a role has been deemed to be business critical.
The role currently being advertised has not been assessed as business critical and is therefore NOT open to applications from those who will require sponsorship under the points-based system. Should you apply for this role and be found to require sponsorship, your application will be rejected, and any provisional offer of employment withdrawn.
You must have, or will achieve by September 2023, the following qualifications:
- Five full GCSEs at A*-C or grades 4-9 (or equivalent) to include English Language and Maths.
- Two full A-Levels at grades A*-D in any subject (or equivalent)
You are encouraged to apply with your predicted grades. Evidence of the above qualifications will be required as part of your pre-employment checks before a formal offer can be made.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Controlling a Project
Alongside training and development, you’ll receive the following great benefits:
- £20,800 Starting Salary – with annual increments
- 25 days holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, and recognition awards
- Hybrid working (wherever possible) to support your work-life balance
- Opportunity to work flexibility after 6 months
- Use of our on-site gym, restaurant, and cafes.
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more