At Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), we're here to provide for the Armed Forces, as they serve our country all over the world. We support those on the front line by providing cutting-edge equipment and technology for land, sea, air and space. We deliver the kit the UK military needs to maintain advantage and stay protected, as they protect life at home and overseas.
You want to be an expert in your field one day. We want to help make it happen. Whichever area you join us in, you’ll discover new talents, pinpoint new ambitions, find a home among a diverse team – and be empowered to turn your gifts into an incredible career. Ready for real investment in your future? We’re developing tomorrow’s talent today.
What sets DE&S apart is the focus we put on you. We help you find your flair and then plan a flourishing career around what you love. And along the way, you’ll enjoy real rewards for the work you do, with competitive benefits and career progression. As a DE&S apprentice, you’ll find real support to reach your potential – so you can become a leader in your field.
As part of our team, you'll benefit from plenty of routes for development, access to specialist training and funding for professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more.
A range of apprenticeship opportunities have arisen within our forward-thinking Entry Talent Centre of Expertise here at DE&S, based at Bristol Abbey Wood.
The Operational Delivery function within DE&S is looking for motivated people to join our organisation and help shape the future of Operational Delivery Modelling & Analysis in UK Defence.
The DE&S Operational Delivery Modelling and Analysis (M&A) Apprenticeship Scheme is a two-year development programme focused on data specialist roles within DE&S. Throughout the duration of your apprenticeship we’ll challenge you to be a key part of high-performing teams delivering meaningful work. We’ll support your development by providing you with the opportunity to take on high-profile defence projects supporting you in your development and enhancing your technical skills. You’ll rotate through several placements within DE&S specific to your specialist area, both supporting your development and delivering key business outputs.
Your hands on experience will be underpinned by MoD and DE&S specific training, as well as studying towards achieving your Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship over a two-year period. Training will be delivered by a training provider.
You’ll undertake the following duties as a minimum:
M&A core duties:
- Applying the principles of Quality Analysis, related standards and methodologies to your daily work.
- Troubleshooting and identifying solutions to M&A problems.
- Conducting task admin, including reporting progress to line management and attending customer engagement meetings.
Data Analysis & reporting:
- Learn to work with industry standard tools (e.g. Oracle SQL Developer, Power BI, Power Automate, Office 365) to explore an increasing number of complex datasets.
- Gathering, analysing, exploring, and visualising the data to present the ‘story’ of the data in a meaningful way.
- Building credible results from the data, using best coding practices to generate replicable work.
- Creating and deploying self-service reports and dashboards.
- Identifying patterns and trends to share insights with the team and our Defence stakeholders to inform business decisions.
Modelling & Forecasting:
- Learn to build and simulate models of Defence vehicles, aircraft and equipment using sophisticated modelling tools.
- Build models to optimise stock holdings across the support chain network.
- Simulate the effect on operational performance and cost of a given stock solution.
- Conduct time series analysis and inventory segmentation techniques to generate buy and repair recommendations for DE&S Support Chain Managers.
Because of the classification of some of the information related to certain projects, some work-based placements may be open to Sole UK Nationals only.
Your duty station will be MoD Abbey Wood, Bristol, BS34 8JH and you will be required to attend site regularly as required by your placement and / or your scheme.
You’ll be involved in:
- Regularly exploring information, data, and modelling and analysis software applications used within DE&S and wider MoD.
- Identifying and suggesting process improvements and raising them with your team.
- Working independently on individual tasks and also as a team member to deliver larger projects collectively.
- Undertaking mandatory training, following the M&A Learning Pathway and working collaboratively with team members to actively grow your analytical and modelling knowledge.
- Seeking opportunities to learn from peers in the M&A community, growing your personal network across business areas.
- Exploring the M&A disciplines within DE&S to identify areas to specialise in and grow deeper knowledge.
It takes lots of different people and lots of different skill sets to keep the UK Armed Forces fully equipped and well supported.
To be successful with your application, we are looking for you to demonstrate your potential to succeed in a dynamic working environment. We’re here to help you find your speciality, so we hire for aptitude and train for skills.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people, and people from LGBTQ+ communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
You must have the right of abode in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the EEA (including other countries determined within the EEA or those with bilateral agreements), for at least the previous three years on the first day of learning.
As a result of the changes to the UK immigration rules which came into effect on 1 January 2021, the Ministry of Defence will only offer sponsorship for a skilled worker visa under the points-based system, where a role has been deemed to be business critical.
The role currently being advertised has not been assessed as business critical and is therefore NOT open to applications from those who will require sponsorship under the points-based system. Should you apply for this role and be found to require sponsorship, your application will be rejected, and any provisional offer of employment withdrawn.
You must have, or will achieve by September 2023, the following qualifications:
- Five full GCSEs A*-C or grades 4-9 (or equivalent) including English Language and Maths;
- A full A Level in any subject at grade A* - D
- a Level 3 BTEC Diploma in any subject at minimum grade Merit
- have successfully completed a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in a relevant subject.
You are encouraged to apply with your predicted grades. Evidence of the above qualifications will be required as part of your pre-employment checks before a formal offer can be made.
It is also beneficial to your application if you can demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Experience, knowledge and skills relevant to the apprenticeship.
- Awareness of modelling and data analysis techniques and software
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
Alongside training and development, you’ll receive the following great benefits:
- £20,800 Starting Salary – with annual increments.
- 25 days holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday.
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, and recognition awards.
- Hybrid working (wherever possible) to support your work-life balance.
- Opportunity to work flexibility after 6 months.
- Use of our on-site gym, restaurant, and cafes.
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more.