At Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), we're here to provide for the Armed Forces, as they serve our country all over the world. We support those on the front line by providing cutting-edge equipment and technology for land, sea, air and space. We deliver the kit the UK military needs to maintain advantage and stay protected, as they protect life at home and overseas.
You want to be an expert in your field one day. We want to help make it happen. Whichever area you join us in, you’ll discover new talents, pinpoint new ambitions, find a home among a diverse team – and be empowered to turn your gifts into an incredible career. Ready for real investment in your future? We’re developing tomorrow’s talent today.
What sets DE&S apart is the focus we put on you. We help you find your flair and then plan a flourishing career around what you love. And along the way, you’ll enjoy real rewards for the work you do, with competitive benefits and career progression. As a DE&S apprentice, you’ll find real support to reach your potential – so you can become a leader in your field.
As part of our team, you'll benefit from plenty of routes for development, access to specialist training and funding for professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more.
A range of apprenticeship opportunities have arisen within our forward-thinking Entry Talent Centre of Expertise here at DE&S, based at Bristol Abbey Wood.
The Information Management & Information Technology (IM&IT) function within DE&S is looking for motivated people to join our organisation and help shape the future of IM&IT in UK Defence.
The DE&S IM&IT Digital Technology Software Developer Apprenticeship Scheme is a two-year development programme focused on software development within DE&S. Throughout the duration of your apprenticeship, we’ll challenge you to be a key part of high-performing teams delivering meaningful work. We’ll support your development by providing you with the opportunity to take on high-profile defence projects supporting you in your development and enhancing your technical skills. You’ll rotate through several placements within DE&S specific to your specialist area, both supporting your development and delivering key business outputs.
Your hands on experience will be underpinned by MoD and DE&S specific training, as well as studying towards achieving your Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship over a two-year period. Training will be delivered by a training provider.
You’ll undertake the following duties as a minimum:
- Agile ceremonies such as daily stand ups, backlog refinement sessions, sprint reviews and retrospectives.
- Discovery activities; for new work - understanding the customers’ requirement and user story generation/refinement.
- Using paired programming; alongside existing developers to achieve development activities.
- Testing and quality assurance activities; checking quality of outputs of work undertaken by the team.
- Contributing to the team’s continuous improvement and Research & Development tasks that help the team and individuals develop their technical excellence.
Experience of the Microsoft Power Platform, Oracle Apex or .NET will help you maximise your success in this specialism.
Because of the classification of some of the information related to certain projects, some work-based placements may be open to Sole UK Nationals only.
Your duty station will be MoD Abbey Wood, Bristol, BS34 8JH and you will be required to attend site regularly as required by your placement and / or your scheme.
You’ll be involved in the following:
- Contributing to the work of the team and function to support continuous improvement and IM&IT change.
- Working methodically through analysing and supporting the creation of documentation of business processes, datasets, system designs, services and information security.
- Learning and applying policies, procedures and standards incorporating these into documentation and project work.
- Regularly exploring information, data, models and software applications and the IT infrastructure within DE&S and wider MoD.
- Identifying and suggesting process improvements and raising them with your team.
- Growing your personal network across business areas to support your development.
- Exploring all IT disciplines within DE&S to identify areas to specialise in and grow deeper knowledge.
- Growing your knowledge of the production of business models and assisting in the preparation of business cases to support change and innovation.
- Growing your technical knowledge across the IT landscape and operational teams.
- Exploring all communities of practice within IM&IT and participating in working groups.
You must have the right of abode in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the EEA (including other countries determined within the EEA or those with bilateral agreements), for at least the previous three years on the first day of learning.
As a result of the changes to the UK immigration rules which came into effect on 1 January 2021, the Ministry of Defence will only offer sponsorship for a skilled worker visa under the points-based system, where a role has been deemed to be business critical.
The role currently being advertised has not been assessed as business critical and is therefore NOT open to applications from those who will require sponsorship under the points-based system. Should you apply for this role and be found to require sponsorship, your application will be rejected, and any provisional offer of employment withdrawn.
You must have, or will achieve by September 2023, the following qualifications:
- Five full GCSEs at A*-C or grades 4-9 (or equivalent) to include Maths and English Language.
- a full A Level in ICT or Computer Science at grade A* - D
- a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT or Computing at a minimum grade Triple Pass (PPP)
- have successfully completed a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in a relevant subject
You are encouraged to apply with your predicted grades. Evidence of the above qualifications will be required as part of your pre-employment checks before a formal offer can be made.
•Experience, knowledge and skills relevant to the apprenticeship.
- Experience of interacting with and updating IT and Information Systems (IS) tools.
- Working knowledge and understanding of relevant IT and IS principles and frameworks.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
Alongside training and development, you’ll receive the following great benefits:
- £20,800 Starting Salary – with annual increments
- 25 days holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, and recognition awards
- Hybrid working (wherever possible) to support your work-life balance
- Opportunity to work flexibility after 6 months
- Use of our on-site gym, restaurant, and cafes.
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more