- Keep the clinical areas and all equipment and instruments clean, tidy and sterile as appropriate according to the practice’s health and safety and infection control procedures and manufacturers' instructions
- Use all equipment and machinery in accordance with manufacturers' recommendations and ensure that they are maintained regularly and in good working order
- Provide satisfactory chair side and nursing assistance, ensuring that the correct equipment is available
- Always ensure the care and welfare of patients in a friendly, helpful and courteous manner
- Accurately complete patient clinical records as directed, manual and computerised.
- Be proficient in use of the surgery computer, “Software of Excellence”, DBSWIN (digital x-ray software) and other software used by the Practice
- Observe patient confidentiality at all times
- Disposal of day list and models according to practice policy
- Handle all substances in accordance with Health and Safety policies
- Be familiar and comply with all Health and Safety rules and guidance, including, COSHH, Mercury handling, infection control, waste disposal, hand hygiene etc.
- Complete laboratory request forms, and ensure return in time for patient’s appt
- Ensure adequate stocks of materials and other items within the surgery
- Complete “order request forms” to order new stock supplies as necessary, ensuring the surgery always has sufficient instruments, materials, and drugs
- Work as dental receptionist when required (separate job description attached)
- Ensure computer/written records are accurately maintained and securely stored
- Liaise with reception to ensure smooth patient communications and transfer of records
- Attend and participate in practice meetings
- Other duties as necessary for the efficient operation of the practice
- Undergo training as may be required to develop your skills and abilities
- Attend refresher and update training for medical emergencies and CPR
- Act in accordance with the practice rules and code of conduct
- Work in rotation within decontamination rooms including: -Bagging and distribution of instruments. -Routine daily/weekly maintenance checks on automatic washer disinfector, DAC handpiece cleaners and autoclaves, and ensuring accurate records are kept. -Daily and weekly maintenance and cleaning of suction units and tubing.
Future ProspectsThere is a possible opportunity for full-time role upon successful completion of apprenticeship.
Reality CheckA course of hepatitis B vaccinations and booster and immunity level check will be required before working within clinical areas.
- Attention to detail is essential
- Good communication skills
- Great customer service skills
- Interest in dental medicine
- Approachable and friendly
GCSE Grade C (4) or above in maths and English.
- Level 3 Dental Nurse Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills in maths and English if required