Dental Nurse Apprentice - Advanced (Level 3)
Amersham Hill Dental Clinic
Harrow and Uxbridge College
- Set-up and prepare the surgery for the type of patient and treatment planned before the start of each session
- Clean and sterilise all instruments/equipment and working surfaces to the required standards at the end of each session
- Prepare the necessary materials and instruments
- Ensure safe disposal of sharps and clinical waste
- Process, dental radiographs and assist in the correct procedure for dental radiography either via the computer or processing unit.
- Maintain and clean radiograph processing unit
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships with all members of the dental team
- Escort patients from the waiting room to the surgery, confirming the medical history is up-to-date and warning the dentist of any problems that he/she has noted
- Monitor and maintain stocks within dental surgery as necessary, informing the Practice Manager/Principal Dentist and liaising with them over necessary orders and warning of any shortages of materials in the stock cupboard.
- Perform chaperoning duties for dentists when treating patients
- Follow all practice policies and procedures
- Obey all dental ethical guidelines including all rules on confidentiality
- Report equipment failures or breakages to the Practice Manager/Principal Dentist
- Continually interpret the needs of patients and dentists and deal with them promptly and efficiently
- To meet and greet clients in a friendly and efficient manner
- To update patient medical forms
- To ensure the correct NHS forms have been signed
- To ensure the correct Private forms have been signed and updated
- To book appointments on the computer or appointment book for clients either face to face to by telephone
- To work and learn skills of a dental receptionist.
- To liaise with the Practice Manager/Principal Dentist on all matters concerning administration, pay and service conditions
- To take reasonable care for her/his own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by her/his acts or omissions at work
- Assist the dentist in the completion of patient records
- Ensure that all necessary laboratory work is returned and ready for each session
- Assist in all clerical and administrative duties as required by the Practice Manager/Principal Dentist
- Identify your training and development needs and undertake appropriate training as required and agreed with the Practice Manager/Principal Dentist
- Perform any other tasks that are reasonably requested by the Principal Dentist
- To positively promote services available at the clinic in order to improve sales
Once qualified the individual will be able to register with the General Dental Council and join the Association of British Dental Nurses. This allows individuals to work legally in this sector and opens up other pathways for future progression e.g. Senior Dental Nurse, Hygienist, Therapist, Practice Manager.
- Good organisational skills
- Good time keeping
- Good interpersonal skills
- Experience of ICT packages
- Must have a good standard of spoken and written English
- Well presented, clean and tidy (no facial piercings or visible tattoos)
- Polite and courteous manner
- You should be committed to this being a long term career aspiration
- GCSE at Grade 9-4/A-C including maths and English or the equivalent
- Level 3 Dental Nurse Standard
Apprentices will be required to attend college x1 day per week either at at our Hayes Campus completing necessary mandatory training and units associated with the apprenticeship.
Our Account Manager, industry-trained assessor and Learning Advocate support apprentices to deliver our high-quality training programmes.
The apprentice will be required to complete:
- Skills, Knowledge and Behaviours
- Standard and End Point Assessment
- Functional Skills in English, maths and ICT (if required)
Other training will be provided by the employer as required to enable the fulfilment of the job role.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.