Degree Apprentice Software Engineer
University of Exeter
In partnership with the University of Exeter, Minibems is recruiting for a front end web developer who has a willingness to develop their backend developer skillset. The role will involve refining the Minibems web app which allows users to remotely monitor and control heating system equipment using our online dashboards.
We are looking for a self-starter willing to learn a variety of new skills with the ability to manage their own tasks/ workload and contribute to strategic decision making.
Minibems is a young IOT start-up that integrates traditional heating systems with embedded computing and the cloud to reduce carbon emissions and financial costs.
- Develop and Improve the user interface of the Minibems web app
- Collaborate with embedded systems developers to build new functionality into the Minibems software offering. This will require the integration of our embedded software, an online server and database and the Minibems web application
- The ideal candidate will initially be working on the front end but be willing to develop a skill set to work on the back end as well
You’ll work towards our work-based learning degree qualification. This is an exciting opportunity to join a young start-up company and for your roll to develop as the company grows. There is huge potential for career development with the opportunity to progress quickly which is mainly dependant on the candidate’s capabilities and ability to develop new skills and add value to the company.
- Front end development experience / home projects
- Ability to easily communicate technical ideas to a non-technical audience
- Back end development experience/ home projects
- Experience with PHP
- Servers and databases
- Single-board computers e.g Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard, Arduino
- Ability to work in a fast paced working environment where priorities and strategy can change quickly as a result of market feedback
- Required – Team player, Self-starter, Strategic thinker
- Beneficial – Commercially and business minded
Candidates will be expected to satisfy the entry requirements for this degree apprenticeship set by the University of Exeter. The typical offer is AAB at A-Level, or equivalent. Where candidates are awaiting exam results, any offer made will be conditional on meeting the entry requirements.
Candidates are invited to contact the University to discuss their eligibility if required. Please contact the Student Recruitment team on email@example.com or (01392) 724061.
The successful candidate will be enrolled as a Degree Apprentice on the University of Exeter’s BSc (Hons) Digital and Technology Solutions programme. Through this 4-year programme, they will work for an education in business IT which combines technical and professional skills. The knowledge and training gained will then be implemented within the Minibems Ltd workplace environment.
The University of Exeter programme is delivered through a blended learning model which includes:
- Three residentials of three to four days’ duration, held at the University. This will include lecture, tutorial and workshop time, as well as opportunity to meet peers from other employers
- Online learning to be undertaken during the working week (typically up to one day per week), including web seminars, interactive activities, reading and assessments
- Reflective practice, assessing project work undertaken in the workplace
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to learn from existing developers within the Minibems team but will also be expected to take control of their own learning and will be given some freedom to determine for themselves their learning direction.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.