What will the apprentice be doing?
Your responsibilities as an Apprentice Rail Engineering Technician:
· Develop and assist time/chainage or programmes of works for core work activities
· Populate resource schedules in line with programme requirements
· Develop the train matrix planning for stage-works using spoil and ballast calculations
· Develop the WPP’s, Task Briefing Sheets & mitigation plans
· Develop Staging Diagrams and information to communicate the delivery plan. Present this information to the construction teams.
· Control technical budgetary constraints; including resource, materials & equipment requirements
· Effectively communicate task requirements to internal & external staff
· Preparation and presentation of products required for project ‘T-‘ reviews of the plans.
· To be self-motivated
· Live the Balfour Beatty Values
· Take responsibility for the health and safety of you, colleagues and other persons who may be affected by your acts and omissions at work, and for the environment.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
You will study for and be expected to pass a Level 6 Rail Systems Senior Engineer Apprenticeship – the apprenticeship will last for 3 years where you will attend college on either day release or block release.
The following qualifications will be gained as part of the apprenticeship:
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering - You will attend university on day release
- Engineering Technician status and Technician Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Incorporated Engineer status and Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
You will follow the Balfour Beatty Enhanced Apprentice programme. This is a mix of development events and activities, plus in year 2 you will compete in the Balfour Beatty Brathay Apprentice Challenge, to help us find the Balfour Beatty Apprentice Team of the Year!
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Maths, English and Science (Grade Grades 9-4 or A-C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths, Science or Engineering (Grade A-C) Essential