Degree Apprentice Building Control Surveyor
West Suffolk Council
THE UNIVERSITY OF WOLVERHAMPTON
This supporting role will be primarily based at our West Suffolk premises at College Heath Road, Mildenhall, but you may reasonably be required to work at West Suffolk House, Bury St Edmunds or any other of the council’s premises, in order to meet the needs of the service.
Key responsibilities and activities
The successful applicant will be required to be an integral member of the building control team to provide effective and efficient technical administration/support to the building control service. This will be under the direction of the Senior Building Control Surveyors and will include the following duties:
- Supporting the team in providing a first class building control service
- Assisting with undertaking regulatory site inspections and plan checking tasks with appropriate professional mentoring and oversight
- Providing general administrative support to the building control team in the day to day tasks involving all aspects of running a successful building control business
- Providing written and verbal advice to members of the public, business owners on straightforward licensing matters
- Dealing with telephone and online enquiries as appropriate
- Liaising with colleagues in other teams, services or agencies
- Using excellent IT skills to access and input information where necessary onto several different IT systems
- Provide support with marketing the service
You will need to have enthusiasm, self-motivation and a keen interest to provide a first class service in a commercial environment. Good communication and interpersonal skills are necessary, as are accurate keyboard skills and a good working knowledge of IT systems.
You will be expected to carry out tasks required on a day to day basis and the work that you will undertake will be designed to ensure that you meet the evidence and standards required for your qualification.
On the Building Control team page, you can find out what the team does, what a typical day looks like and what skills, interests and qualities you will need to fulfil this role. You will also find full details of the support and supervision on the apprenticeship information page. These can be found at https://jobs,westsuffolk.gov.uk/vacancies
You will be studying towards a degree in Building Control details can be found at: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/building-control-surveyor-degree/
On completion of this degree you will be eligible to apply for membership of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and/or the Institute of Fire Engineers (IFE) having met the academic requirements for membership.
- An interest in the construction industry and regulatory services
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of excellent customer service
- Good working knowledge of IT such as Microsoft packages
- Able to plan and organise own workload, taking responsibility for delivery of tasks
- Ability to use initiative to find information from other sources in order to resolve problems or situations
- Awareness of equality and diversity
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Competence to build positive relationships, gather views and experiences
- Aptitude to record and present information
- Professional and polite when dealing with colleagues
- Understands customer needs and an awareness of good customer service
- Desired interest and enthusiasm in studying for an apprenticeship
- Willingness to learn and develop skills relevant to job
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and willingness to be flexible
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent 9 to 4 (formerly A*-C) including maths, English and ICT
- Level 3 Diploma in a construction or property related discipline or A-Level equivalents
Building Control Surveyor Undergraduate Degree.
Upon completion of the apprenticeship, the apprentice will gain a BSc (Hons) degree in Building Control.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.