What will the apprentice be doing?
- Monitor for attacks, intrusions and unusual, unauthorised or illegal activity
- Test and evaluate security products
- Use advanced analytic tools to determine emerging threat patterns and vulnerabilities i.e. SentinelOne
- Engage in 'ethical hacking', for example, simulating security breaches
- Investigate security alerts and provide incident response
- Monitor identity and access management, including monitoring for abuse of permissions by authorised system users
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Why choose our Cyber Security Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship?
The Cyber Security Engineer apprentice can help to design, build and test secure networks, security products or systems to help protect your organisation against cyber threats.
QA is a market leader in cyber security training, with a state-of-the-art immersive cyber gamified learning, giving apprentices a hands-on learning experience in simulating a real cyber threat.
QA's exclusive partnership with Circadence Corporation, the pioneer of the hands-on gamified learning platform Project Ares®, allows us to uniquely incorporate hands-on scenario training into our cyber security apprenticeships. The Project Ares platform offers a totally immersive experience, using automated features to support skills adoption with an in-game advisor, Athena, who advises our players through scenario-based challenges. The platform scenarios replicate the unpredictability and escalating levels of complexity that cyberattacks can present. It drives high levels of engagement through leaderboards and badges, elements used widely in the gaming world.
QA’s Cyber Security Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship programme enables the apprentice to:
- Develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills in a safe, but realistic environment
- Apply all of the acquired skills throughout the programme, with added scoring of players and opponent actions with replay for object assessment
- Take part in hands-on training and active-learning models that increase retention rates by 75% so that cyber apprentices can prepare for real-world challenges
Tools and technologies learned:
Apprentices will learn to use Project Ares, Python, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft PowerShell, Linux and AWS.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
We want our staff to stay with us for years (our longest-serving employees have been with us from the very start). Pathway to becoming a First Contact Resolution (FCR) Engineer within Bluecube.
There is also the opportunity to continue your apprenticeship journey through to a degree-level apprenticeship programmes.
Reality CheckImportant Information: QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education. To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Team working
Qualifications RequiredA Level or equivalent ICT (Grade Any) Desired
BTEC or equivalent IT (Grade Any) Desired
Other Apprenticeship in similar subject (Grade Level 3) Desired
Other International Baccalaureate in ICT (Grade Level 3) Desired