Are you ambitious and interested in starting a career in retail but have little or no experience in the industry? We’re launching our new Customer Service Apprenticeship, offering many exciting opportunities for you to join a friendly, family-run company and start a rewarding career in retail and customer services.
Perrywood is an independent, family-owned garden centre and nursery run by the Bourne Family in Essex, with sites in Tiptree and Sudbury. Our vision is to inspire people to get more plants in their lives. Our everyday mission is to offer a memorable garden centre experience, delivering wow customer service and giving employees, customers, suppliers, and our local community a reason to smile.
In our Customer Service Apprenticeship, you will gain invaluable experience across various departments in our business, giving you hands-on experience of all aspects of retail operations and customer services whilst working towards a recognised qualification. During your apprenticeship, you will work across our Giftware, Outdoor Leisure (Garden Furniture & BBQs), Garden Sundries (products you’d find in a garden shed), Christmas and Plant Area departments. This will help expand your product knowledge and develop key skills like customer service, merchandising, and teamwork. This is a great first step on your retail career pathway and the perfect chance for you to join a growing business and progress in the industry.
We’re looking for outgoing and proactive individuals with fantastic communication skills to join our growing team. Your personality and ability to engage with customers is key. The ideal candidate will be passionate about delivering a high-quality service, enjoy direct contact with a wide range of people and be motivated by customer satisfaction. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
You’ll be working 8.30 am to 5 pm, five days a week (including one day each weekend). Time will be allocated each week to your apprenticeship.
You will be paid a national minimum/living wage for your age (Under 18- £4.62, 18 to 20 - £6.56, 21 to 22- £8.36, 23 and over - £8.91) and paid time and a half for weekends and bank holidays.
- Being friendly, polite and helpful to customers at all times
- Deliver outstanding customer service
- Learn how to merchandise stock to encourage sales
- Learn how to answer customer queries and build up your knowledge by learning from the rest of the team and working in different departments
- Operating computerised till and EPOS (Electronic Point Of Sale) systems, processing card and cash payments
- Maintaining stock levels across the store, including labelling and pricing
- Take part in cleaning as required and maintain scrupulous cleanliness of all areas covered under your place of work
- Future opportunities to move into permanent roles in retail as till or retail sales assistants, plant area assistants and experts, coffee shop front of house
Rewards and Benefits In a recent employee Happiness Survey, our colleagues told us we are doing really well at teamwork and wellbeing. They said they like that we are customer-focused, sell quality products, and have a strong company brand and vision. Many commented that colleagues make Perrywood a great place to work and how fantastic our plants are! In addition to working in a happy, caring environment, you will receive the following benefits:
- Discount – after one year employees are entitled to receive a 30% discount for the garden centre (some exceptions apply)
- Paid holiday – holiday entitlement is 28 days per year. Some restrictions apply
- Annual Christmas bonus
- Part-uniform provided
- Employee Assistance Programme a confidential personal and professional support service available to all employees and their immediate families 24/7, 365 days a year
- Training & development, as required. We have an e-learning scheme, and also take part in other training
- Workplace Pension
- Free parking
- Experience working in retail/customer service roles is preferred but not essential
- Ability to work individually or in a team
- Must be able to bend, lift and carry items as required and sustain long periods on your feet
- Strong verbal communication skills and confident talking to members of the public
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Approachable and have a pro-active attitude towards helping customers
- Able to work well under pressure and remain positive and cheerful
- Ability to recognise when customers or colleagues need help or assistance
- Excellent standard of maths and English (minimum grade 4/C at GCSE) – essential
- Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner Apprenticeship
- Functional skills if needed