Looking for a great start to your career in technology, earning and learning on a professionally accredited, award-winning scheme? We are looking to recruit the experts of the future on our nationally recognised, award-winning Apprenticeship Programme.
Our four-year Craft Maintenance Apprenticeship provides a wealth of learning and development opportunities. By the end of the scheme trainees will have completed a Level 2 Vocational qualification in Machining, a Level 3 qualification in Electrotechnical Maintenance, as well as a Level 3 qualification in Engineering Maintenance.
The Apprenticeship will start with an Induction into Leonardo, followed by a team building event at an offsite location (incorporating all Trainee starts). There will also be a Yeovil College Induction to ensure that apprenticeship requirements and expectations are fully established.
Working with world-leading specialists, you will increase your technical skills and capability, and develop your academic and practical understanding of the diverse world that is manufacturing & supply chain.
The Leonardo Helicopters plant and equipment cover a vast array of machines from large machining centres through to composite press tools and autoclaves. The structure of the Apprenticeship programme will be as follows:
- Year 1: Full time at Yeovil College with the possibility of working on-site in your placement at Leonardo Helicopters for 1 day a week post-Christmas.
- During years 2, 3 & 4, apprentices will follow a structured placement programme designed to ensure broad practical experience is gained in the required competences.
Please note depending on the progress of the individual the apprenticeship could take 5 years to complete.
Each Apprentice on this route will need to complete an End Point Assessment as defined in the Apprenticeship Standard, this will take place in the final months of the program.
How this role fits in:
- Leonardo represents a unique opportunity for a career-minded person to have the best of both worlds; a challenging role with career development prospects and a quality of life that is hard to equal
- Apprentices follow a structured placement programme designed to ensure broad experience is gained in the required competences. Apprentices work with skilled individuals in each work placement to learn the required skills, knowledge and behaviour
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Apprentices will work towards becoming a 'skilled' maintenance engineer on completion of their apprenticeship
- Post-apprenticeship there are possibilities to progress through the grading structure and adopt additional responsibilities
- Throughout the apprenticeship, apprentices will be carrying out maintenance work across site and/or within the Transmissions department as part of the Transmissions or Site maintenance departments
- Excellent employment prospects once qualified
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Leonardo values people with a passion for technical analysis, judgement and problem-solving. We reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary
- 25 days holiday and ability to earn flexi-leave
- Pension scheme (Contributory)
- Cycle to Work initiative
- Employee Discount Scheme
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so Apply now to avoid disappointment. When applying on HireVue please select App level 3 STEM.
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Practical hands-on engineering skills (though these will be developed)
- Interest in engineering and aircraft
- Team Work
- Time Management
- Attention to detail
- Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as “SC”) for our business
- 4 GCSEs at a minimum of a C/4 (including maths*, English and Science). These grades are non-negotiable
- We also welcome applications from individuals who have attained, or are on track to attain A Levels/relevant BTEC qualification
- Note – due to the course content, a higher tier C in Maths is recommended
- Note – This course is an ‘Apprenticeship Standard’ and therefore contains new academic qualifications. This could mean that there may be some duplication in course content
Engineering Technician Level 3 Apprenticreship Standard:
- Leonardo prides itself on recruiting the very best. Our companies run flourishing graduate and apprentice schemes for some 400 young people nationwide
- We actively participate with other educational and engineering partners to help shape and develop the training and qualifications we offer to ensure that our future apprenticeship schemes continue to meet the expectation of our applicants and to match local and national standards
- Boasting a current retention rate that has seen 95% of apprentices stay with our companies at the end of their schemes, Leonardo understands that the future of its high-tech business rests with the next generation of engineers