What will the apprentice be doing?
This role will provide you with an opportunity to become a public sector procurement professional, securing skills that will support you to access many employment opportunities throughout a career in commercial activity in any sector.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role:
This post will support the development of the commissioning and procurement best practice framework and subsequent implementation across the Council to deliver the best overall value possible from procurement and contracts, including social value.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Undertake and complete Level 4 Apprenticeship Standard in Commercial Procurement & Supply, attend all necessary workshops and professional development opportunities to meet knowledge and skills requirements
- Develop an understanding of Local Government and a working knowledge of Reading Borough Council functions.
- Support effective procurement and contract management practice across the Council across a range of projects which may include Adult Social Care, IT/Software, Transport, Highways, Culture, Housing, Property and Consultancy
- Actively support change projects that improve quality and performance in commissioning and procurement approach
- Develop an understanding and use of Management Information systems
- Support the administration of the Council’s eProcurement system
- Undertake data analysis activity to assess and manage supplier performance and contractual spend
- Raise purchase orders and goods receipting for payment
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do.
Drive efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential.
Be ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way.
Make a difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Once you have completed the apprenticeship you will achieve a Level 4 in Commercial Procurement and Supply.
Training for this apprenticeship will be a combination of e-learning, structured workplace learning, tutorials, and mini-projects.
This apprenticeship will be based at Reading Borough Council, Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Reading, RG1 2LU.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
This role can lead to many career progressions such as Administration, Sales, marketing and procurement.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Analytical skills, Team working, Initiative
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4-7) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4-7) Desired