What will the apprentice be doing?
- Handling emergency and non-emergency calls. You will have to be able to remain calm whilst taking control of a call and getting as much information as possible by asking the right questions and recording that information, so it is relayed to the officers responding.
- Crime Recording – using our systems to take reports of crime and making sure everything is recorded according to guidelines.
- Working with partner agencies to record other incidents in which the Police play a role.
- Signposting members of public to more appropriate agencies when it is not a matter dealt with by Police.
- Dealing with requests/queries via online platforms.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The apprenticeship takes approximately 18 months to achieve. Once complete, you will receive a level 3 apprenticeship in emergency service contact handling.
During the apprenticeship you will receive structured on and off the job development, which will include classroom training and personalised tutoring, to develop your competence in responding to emergency and non-emergency calls.
The on and off the job development includes the use of communication systems and software, communication skills, risk assessment and decision making, and technical knowledge and understanding of incidents relevant to policing.
The development is predominately delivered in blocks of learning. The first 5 weeks of training will most likely be based at Kidlington (HQ North or South). After this it will be at the location you apply for.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Progression opportunities include:
- Those within the department and control room, such as becoming a supervisor or/and operational manager.
- Becoming a Police Officer.
- Applying for internal roles within Thames Valley Police.
Reality CheckPlease note due to the sensitive nature of this role, you must be 18 years or over at point of application. For more information on this role and Thames Valley Police as a company please visit https://tvpcareers.co.uk/roles/contact-management-999-101-call-handler/
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Analytical skills, Team working, Non judgemental, Patience
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) Desired