What will the apprentice be doing?
This is an excellent opportunity to take your first steps into developing your career as a Groundworker Apprentice. This apprenticeship will involve working in a company, working across the public and private sector providing an array of construction solutions including refurbishments and new builds.
Groundworkers are the first trade onto a construction and civil engineering site and they work closely with supervisors and engineers in interpreting design specifications to prepare the site ready for the structural building works to take place. They continue their work throughout the construction phase, working with all on-site construction trades, such as bricklayers and plant operatives, up to and including the final completion activities of the project.
This apprenticeship will include working alongside qualified staff and learning all aspects of Groundworkers including:
- Setting out and preparing the sub-surfaces ready for the structural work to begin
- Interpreting plans and drawings
- Site clearance
- Helping to prepare site
- Unloading and storing building materials
- Marking out and digging trenches for foundations
- Preparing footings
- Assisting with drainage works including plastic drainage or SUDS system - sustainable drainage system
- Concreting - layering and smoothing concrete for foundations and floors
- Constructing roads and pathways
- Assisting with road drainage and attenuation works
- Carrying out finished hard landscaping
- Working with a banksman
- Dumper/digger/360 excavator training (additional to Apprenticeship.)
- General labouring
- Keeping work area clean and tidy
- Clearing up at the end of the day
- Adhering to Health and Safety
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
On successful completion of the Apprenticeship, you will acquire a Level 2 Groundworker qualification.
Training will be delivered on site on a regular basis with formal training delivered by a training provider alongside daily practical learning and experience.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
On successful completion of the Apprenticeship, there will be the opportunity to move into full time employment or progress onto a higher level Apprenticeship.
Reality CheckThe vacancy involves working outdoors in all weathers. Assistance will be given in helping you to achieve CSCS Card. Successful offer of the Apprenticeship will be subject to passing of Drugs and Alcohol Test.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience, Physical fitness
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 3) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 3) Essential
Other CSCS (Grade Pass) Essential