From three-course dinners to the perfect scrambled eggs, we need chefs who are ready for a diverse set of dishes.
Two days are never the same when you’re a Commis Chef Apprentice with us. One guest might crave the ideal beef Wellington; another might yearn for a fresh plate of mochi. One evening, we’ll serve an indulgent meal for a single guest; the next, a 400-person banquet.
Because our menus are designed around so many palates and plates, we have a huge variety of skills under one roof. Who wouldn’t want to learn to make labneh from our dedicated Middle Eastern chef? Or to bake the perfect scone? And the best part: if you have a signature dish – a traditional recipe from your hometown, perhaps – it could even end up on our menu.
Your duties will include:
- To work under the direction of the Executive Head Chef and the Sous Chefs
- To ensure that the uniform provided is kept clean, presentable and in good condition, ensuring that personal appearance and hygiene standards are an example for the team
- To compile the daily mise en place
- To ensure that all food is cooked and presented to excellent quality as devised by the Executive Chef
- To promote effective teamwork
- To cook all food items as requested, serving as expected
- To receive, prepare and cook any orders
- To clean and maintain all kitchen areas, including equipment and tools to Safe and Sound standards
- To report any potential health or hygiene hazards
- To ensure the proper handling of all food items in accordance with health & hygiene procedures as devised by MOHG
- To ensure efficient stock rotation for any foods produced
It’s another world. A world of oriental luxury and the most attentive service. A world that’s all about our guests.
It’s also a world that’s been reinvented and reimagined to move with the times. With a heart of London’s heritage and an eye to the future, we use our own sense of history to set new standards – through kind, passionate and generous service.
Successful completion of this apprenticeship can lead to many open doors within Mandarin Oriental, not only in London but across all 32 hotels worldwide.
Colleagues are required to be flexible to meet the needs of the business whether this is a last-minute event or supporting colleagues in another area of the hotel, early morning and late evening finishes are sometimes required. Early shift 8 am – 4.40pm. Late shift 2.30pm - 11pm.
- Effective communication and organisation skills
- Willingness to learn
- Positive attitude and kindness
GCSE or equivalent A*-C/9-4 maths and English.
However, the College would consider applicants with grade D/3 (or equivalent) in these areas with the expectation that the successful candidate would have to complete functional skills level 2 within the first year of the apprenticeship.
Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard.
As a Commis Chef you will be preparing food and carrying out basic cooking tasks in every section of a kitchen under the supervision of a senior chef. You will be working as part of a team in a time-bound and often challenging kitchen environment. You will have a passion for food, cooking and working towards standardised recipes and menus. You will:
- Focus on developing basic techniques as a chef
- Ensure compliance to procedures, menu specifications and recipes
- Adapt and produce dishes to meet special dietary, religious and allergenic requirements
- Communicate internally and externally with customers and colleagues
The learning journey of any chef will vary considerably from one individual to the next; however, it is necessary to understand and have experience in the basics that the Commis Chef role provides in order to progress to any future senior chef role.
On-job training will be provided as part of the first 90 day on-boarding. We also have a vast range of trainings available across the board, whether that is personal development programmes, online training, coaching or additional technical skills, we take pride in providing world class training to all our colleagues.