As a Commis Chef, you are responsible for helping to prepare and presenting high quality dishes to help deliver an excellent guest experience. A Commis Chef would also be required to prepare all mis-en-place and contribute to departmental targets. Specifically, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Prepare and present high-quality dishes within company guidelines
- Keep all working areas clean and tidy and ensure no cross contamination
- Prepare all mis-en-place for all relevant menus
- Assist other departments wherever necessary and maintain good working relationships
- Report maintenance, hygiene, and hazard issues
- Comply with hotel/company security, fire regulations and all health and safety and food safety legislation
- Awareness departmental targets and strive to achieve them as part of the team
- Be environmentally aware
We are set in a fabulous location, near the banks of the River Thames and just minutes from Kingston train station. We have 146 guestrooms, including Junior and King Deluxe Suites. Our onsite restaurant, Hawkers Bar & Brasserie, is a destination where you can blend laughter with cocktails, relax with afternoon tea, or indulge in our all-day menu. Influenced by the local character of Kingston, we strive to find the best local produce throughout our menu. Whether its artisan beers brewed under a mile away or gin direct from the Surrey Hills, we love to support our local friends and neighbours.
Future ProspectsA Commis chef with a successful 18 to 24 months track records will be eligible for promotion to either DCDP or CDP role.
A Commis Chef are always working on behalf of our Guests and working with other Team Members. To successfully fill this role, you should maintain the attitude, behaviours, skills, and values that follow:
• Positive attitude
• Good communication skills
• Ability to work under pressure
• Ability to work on own or in teams
We are looking for an enthusiastic, positive and capable individual with a passion for this type of work, and who will be able to work as part of a team but also on your own. Responsible, conscientious and well presented with a good work ethic and willingness to learn.
GCSEs A*-C/9-4 in maths and English or equivalent.
However, the College would consider applicants with grade D/3 (or equivalent) in these areas with the expectation that the successful candidate would have to complete functional skills level 2 within the first year of the apprenticeship.
Level 2 Commis chef Apprenticeship Standard
- Mentoring from a team of established hospitality professionals around skills required to work in a professional kitchen and generic work places
- Extensive H&S training
- Exposure and immersion in a branded hotel, and access to the Go Hilton – Team Member travel benefit in all Hilton hotels worldwide
You will also attend Merton College for your off the job training:
As a Commis Chef you will be preparing food and carrying out basic cooking tasks in every section of a kitchen under the supervision of a senior chef. You will be working as part of a team in a time-bound and often challenging kitchen environment. You will have a passion for food, cooking and working towards standardised recipes and menus. You will:
- Focus on developing basic techniques as a chef
- Ensure compliance to procedures, menu specifications and recipes
- Adapt and produce dishes to meet special dietary, religious and allergenic requirements
- Communicate internally and externally with customers and colleagues
The learning journey of any chef will vary considerably from one individual to the next; however, it is necessary to understand and have experience in the basics that the Commis Chef role provides in order to progress to any future senior chef role.