We're looking for an enthusiastic and able young cook to join us at our south Asian dining service in Earlsfield. The company has a cafe and upmarket takeaway service using tiffins - reusable steel containers that allow our planet friendly customers to bin the waste by returning them to us. We also provide beautiful and bespoke party platters.
You'll be working on every aspect of producing our food, including;
- working in front of house
- waiting on tables
You'll also spend one day a week at Merton College training on the Level 2 Commis Chef course. You'll be supervised by our experienced chef and will learn how to produce all the delicious food on our menu yourself.
Future ProspectsAt the end of the course we expect to hire you on a full-time basis to become part of our ambitious expansion plans
- Effective communication skills
- Organised skills
- literacy and numeracy skills
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Positive attitude
- The ability to work unsupervised
- Desire to learn how to cook
Apprentices will be required to have or achieve level 1 English and maths and to have taken level 2 English and maths tests prior to completion of their Apprenticeship.
As a Commis Chef you will be preparing food and carrying out basic cooking tasks in every section of a kitchen under the supervision of a senior chef. You will be working as part of a team in a time-bound and often challenging kitchen environment. You will have a passion for food, cooking and working towards standardised recipes and menus. You will:
- Focus on developing basic techniques as a chef
- Ensure compliance to procedures, menu specifications and recipes
- Adapt and produce dishes to meet special dietary, religious and allergenic requirements
- Communicate internally and externally with customers and colleagues
The learning journey of any chef will vary considerably from one individual to the next; however it is necessary to understand and have experience in the basics that the Commis Chef role provides in order to progress to any future senior chef role.