The Commis Chef is responsible to prepare a consistent, high-quality food product, ensure courteous, professional, efficient and flexible service. Our kitchen is small, and it consists of a pizza chef and a pasta chef plus a porter on busy nights. This role would help to develop good foundation, confident and master the fundamental technique that is essential for the future development as a head chef.
Other duties will include;
- Food preparation in line with menu
- Maintaining a hygienic environment
- Maintaining guidelines in the kitchen
- Cooking, plating and sending food on order
- Weekly order to head chef
- Cleaning and washing up
Future ProspectsProgression from this apprenticeship is expected to be into a Chef de Partie role or Senior Production Chef role.
- Effective communication skills
- Organised skills
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Positive attitude
- The ability to work unsupervised
Apprentices will be required to have or achieve level 1 English and maths and to have taken level 2 English and maths tests prior to completion of their Apprenticeship.
As a Commis Chef you will be preparing food and carrying out basic cooking tasks in every section of a kitchen under the supervision of a senior chef. You will be working as part of a team in a time-bound and often challenging kitchen environment. You will have a passion for food, cooking and working towards standardised recipes and menus. You will:
- Focus on developing basic techniques as a chef
- Ensure compliance to procedures, menu specifications and recipes
- Adapt and produce dishes to meet special dietary, religious and allergenic requirements
- Communicate internally and externally with customers and colleagues
The learning journey of any chef will vary considerably from one individual to the next; however it is necessary to understand and have experience in the basics that the Commis Chef role provides in order to progress to any future senior chef role.