As an apprentice chef at Toms you will be given the opportunity to progress through the stations of the kitchen whilst gaining a good understanding of food preparation, kitchen management and fundamental practises to develop as a team member and an individual chef.
Training will be paramount in importance to restaurant service. However, these development milestones will progress each skill sets simultaneously.
You will be expected to work as part of a team producing a high volume of food whilst sticking to Tom's key principals of provenance, quality and sustainability.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Work as part of the restaurant team
- Assist in food preparation for restaurant service
- Assist in service of food
- Develop into running an individual section of the kitchen
- Help with cleanliness of the kitchen
- Have creative input in menus and dish development working alongside the team to come up with seasonal inspiration for the menu
- Help maintain legal compliance in the kitchen by having an understanding of food safety
You would be contracted to 5 days a week including one day at college and with hard work and perseverance, will become a core part of the team.
As this is an Apprenticeship, you will also attend Exeter College one day a week, learning all aspects of the Commis Chef role. This will include the following topics:
- Food safety
Potential to develop into senior positions within the kitchen team and further apprenticeship training opportunities.
- Clear understanding of food
- Ability to adapt to technical cooking styles
- Desire to learn
- Clear love of food/hospitality
- Desire to learn/progress
- Good work ethic
You will ideally have achieved a grade C/4 in maths and English at GCSE.
You will still be considered for this role if you do not meet the entry criteria, however, you will have to complete Functional Skills alongside your Apprenticeship.
Apprentices will be working towards achievement of the following:
- Certification of Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard Level 2
- Level 1 Functional Skills in English and maths (where applicable)