What will the apprentice be doing?
- Ensuring that safe systems of work are in place on site and that all staff adhere to them
- To translate design information to construction teams so they can construct the project effectively and efficiently
- To manage the productivity on the site so that the project is completed on time
- To ensure that the project is completed to the specification and quality needed by the client
- To support the activity on site in a way that adheres to cost and contract constraints
- To ensure that the site has minimal negative impact on the environment and community
- To manage interfaces between stakeholders associated with the project
- Develop an understanding of construction skills, terminology and methodology
Throughout, you will ensure compliance with our Health and Safety and Sustainability agenda and aspire to a Site, Construction or Project Management career.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
You will follow a five-year training programme as part of our ICE-accredited programme, geared towards you achieving Incorporated Engineer status. Depending on project requirements, you could be site or office based.
The following qualifications will be gained as part of the apprenticeship:
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering - You will attend university on day release
- Engineering Technician status and Technician Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Incorporated Engineer status and Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
You will follow a five-year Technical Apprenticeship Scheme as part of our ICE-accredited programme, geared towards you achieving Incorporated Engineer status and becoming an industry expert. You will follow the Balfour Beatty Enhanced Apprentice programme. This is a mix of development events and activities, plus in year 2 you will compete in the Balfour Beatty Brathay Apprentice Challenge, to help us find the Balfour Beatty Apprentice Team of the Year!
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Maths, English and Science (Grade Grades 9-4 or A-C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths, Science or Engineering (Grade A-C) Essential