What will the apprentice be doing?
The role will also involve working on projects directly to support the Engineering functions and to gain a basic understanding of the Civil Engineering process on a live construction site.
What will you be doing?
The primary function within this role will require working within the BGCL Geomatics team using modern surveying equipment to undertake site surveys and subsequent interpretation of associated digital data . The role will be predominately site based although on occasion extended periods may be required at BGCL office location working mainly with CAD interfaces. Some time will also be spent on live construction projects supporting project required engineering functions (as agreed with Geospatial Engineer)
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Produce 2D and 3D CAD deliverables as required by all areas of the Company
- Generate 3D Triangulated models for all areas of the company
- Carry out tender volumetric analyses and take-offs as required by the SDGE
- Carry out value engineering/design in principle for tender submissions and occasional live contracts under supervision.
- Assist in control of health and safety standards on construction projects
- Support with recording, control and reporting of progress on a construction project
- Assist with minimization of the environmental impact of construction projects
- Involvement with the quality control of works for a construction project
- Assisting commercial staff with the monitoring of costs on a construction project
- Support engineering teams with setting out and surveying functions
- Assist with project document control
- Under supervision prepare, issue and monitor various site required permits to work
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
On this apprenticeship you will be following the Civil Engineering Senior Technician level 4 Standard, which will take up to 27 months to complete. The apprenticeship will be delivered by our provider Learning Skills Partnership via blended learning, combining on line lectures and regular face to face visits.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
This apprenticeship programme is very much the start of an exciting career in the industry with wide ranging prospects which may span a number of roles. Buckingham Group will Support candidates to become Chartered Engineers with ICE. Further education to be provided on completion.
Reality CheckSite locations can vary and daily commute can be extensive, occasional short term lodging will be a requirement of the role although we endeavor to keep this to a minimum where possible. Salary starting £21,000 based on a 42 hr week with mileage allowance and lodging costs (if required) included. Further development will be reviewed upon completion with potential progression to L6 Civil Engineer/Design Management.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Physical fitness
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4/C) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Math's (Grade 4/C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Any A level (Grade Any A level) Essential