As an apprentice, your development programme will be made up of different 3-6month placement rotations. Our aim is to equip you with the range of skills and experience you need for your successful career. We also understand that everyone’s career is different, so every apprentice’s journey is unique.
The work will vary from placement to placement however for all of them; you’ll have the opportunity to make an impact on the millions of journeys customers make across London each day.
- You may find yourself working on maintaining and improving the structures and earthworks of London Underground
- You might be working on site on the delivery of step-free access schemes to improve accessibility to the network
- You could be given the chance to complete a placement on a major project such as the Silvertown tunnel river crossing
- All these activities will directly make a positive improvement to many Londoners’ daily lives
Ultimately, the work you’ll be doing on this scheme means helping to ease congestion and open up new connections between communities as an area is regenerated. You’ll be working with many different people affected by the project, as well as our own team and suppliers. This could include meeting with groups from the community to help ensure our neighbours understand what we are doing and how the project will benefit London.
Upon successful completion of this scheme, you could roll-off into one of the following roles:
Engineering Technician, Assistant Engineer, Works Inspector, Assistant Project Manager, and Assistant Operations Officer which could lead to further career development opportunities in our engineering, operations and project delivery teams.
You must be 18 years of age by 6th September 2021 or over to be eligible for this scheme due to Health and Safety requirements.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Travel concessions - Oyster card covering zones 1-6 (covering London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, Tramlink and London's bus services displaying a red roundel)
- 29 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- 75% reimbursement of annual standard class season ticket loans if you use National Rail services to travel to and from work
- Discounted Eurostar travel
- Pension scheme
- Cycle2work scheme - tax efficient savings to reduce tax and National Insurance if you cycle to work
Our talented apprentices form a vital part of that vision, so it’s important that we find the best people to help us do this. We’re looking for people who are:
- Highly motivated
- Logical thinkers who are willing to learn
- Resilient and adaptable
- Results driven with strong communication skills
As a member of the team, we’ll give you responsibility and the opportunity to add value. If you’re excited by inspiring and influencing the future of London then this is the career path for you.
We’re looking for potential in all of our apprentices. We are looking for somebody who can demonstrate our behaviours which are Active, Accountable, Direct, Fair and Consistent and Collaborative.
A minimum of 5 GCSE’s A*-C or Grade 9-4 and above including maths and English Language (or equivalent) plus 3 A Levels A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including maths & Chemistry/Physics.
You are not eligible for this scheme if you currently hold or are working towards a qualification at the same or higher level in a related subject or have already studied content from the qualification for this scheme.
Training Provider to be confirmed.
You will be working towards a Level 6 qualification in a Civil Engineering.
Typically, you will be required to attend university one day a week during term time and may be required to attend one or more weeks of college field training.
Whilst on the scheme, we’ll support your technical development through a wide range of on-the-job practical experiences and placements. We’ll also support your professional development through a combination of classroom-led training courses, online training courses, mentoring opportunities and structured networking opportunities. You will receive one-to-one support throughout the programme from your TfL Engineering Mentor and your Line Manager. You’ll also be connected to a ‘buddy’ who will be a more experienced apprentice from the scheme.
Your Scheme Sponsor and Engineering Mentor will also oversee your technical and professional development with the aim of supporting your application for professional accreditation with the Institution of Civil Engineers as an Incorporated Engineer.
We also have an established Graduate and Apprentice Committee as well as an Alumni group, these groups are powerful networks in developing your understanding of the organisation, different apprenticeship schemes and opportunities to develop your career. Many current graduates and apprentices believe this to be a powerful support network and they often hold apprentice only events that are very beneficial to your continued learning.