We are looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic Apprentice to join our team and develop into a self-sufficient draughtsman and or project manager. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to learn the skills required to manage steelwork projects from start to finish or purely focus on draughting and design management. We pride ourselves on investing in our staff and giving them the opportunity to develop technical skills in house or on specialist training courses to enable them to grow and succeed in their career.
The candidate will start on a 1–2-week 1-1 training course to learn the draughting software’s that we use to enable them to start work on live projects right from the start. Once the candidate is confident, they will then begin to go to site to measure along side a mentor and progress to independent surveys and design work. It will then be possible to progress to managing production and project management elements if this is something that would like to be perused.
The candidate will develop the following key skills to enable them to work independently.
- Have a clear understanding of health, safety, and environmental factors of working in a site and manufacturing environment and how control measures are assessed and implemented
- Develop the ability to interpret and utilise technical information such as drawings and specifications from architects, engineers, and specialist consultants. As well as understanding design responsibility, consultant rolls, design process and communicating design information effectively
- Understand techniques and process associated with the manufacturing of steel and other Ferrous and Non-Ferrous materials
- Understand finishing process available for steelwork and non-ferrous materials
- Learn how to use CAD software and hand drawing and sketching to produce professional quality drawings for contractor and consultant approval followed by manufacturing and installation drawings/ information
- Learn the ability to manage quality during manufacture and installation
- Learn and develop professional communication skills via electronic and face to face meetings to streamline design and installation as well as building strong working relationships
- Learn common construction process, sequences, and materials to become an effective draughtsman and or project manager
- Have the ability to assess site conditions to feed into design and installation considerations
- Have a good understanding on how design choices can heavily effect on costs and can apply skills learned to value engineer projects where possible
- Develop an understanding of installation techniques and equipment used and can select methods based on site conditions
On completion of the apprenticeship the apprentice will have satisfied the requirements for registration as an Engineering Technician by the relevant professional engineering institution in accordance with the requirements of the Engineering Council as the registration body. You will also have the skills and experience to pursues roles including; Senior Draughtsman/ Site Surveyor, Project management, Design Management.
- The candidate should have a keen interest the engineering and construction environment
- Have a reasonable level of IT literacy and an interest in CAD systems
- Enjoy working with people and have good communication skills
- Can organise themselves effectively
- The candidate must be self-motivated and ambitious
- The candidate should be able to work under pressure
- A positive personal attitude is very important
- Enjoy solving problems and taking to new challenges
- Have a good eye for detail
An apprentice will be expected to have achieved at least 5 GCSEs at Grades A*-C, 4-9 including maths (Grade B/6), English and science or their equivalent.
A qualification from Engineering would be advantageous through not essential .
- Civil engineering technician Level 3 Apprenticeship
You will attend South Thames College for your off the job training. In addtion to this the conpany operate a mentor scheme and in-house 360 training programme which is reviewed every month. You will also attend a 1-2 Week CAD course when you start so you can start working on live projects straight away. There is a further whole host of courses that can be taken through the company to supplement development or interests.