Delivered over 36 months with three 30-credit units each year studied at Manchester Metropolitan University over three week-long blocks per year. As well as attendance at University participants will develop their skills in the work place supported by an Amazon mentor and a University Skills Coach who will provide support to effectively embed learning within managerial practice. The programme will leave graduates with the experience and competence necessary to take successful long-term managerial responsibility for people, projects, operations and services within the business.
The early units provide an introduction to strategic leadership, operations and technology, sales, marketing and business finance. Apprentices will be encouraged to demonstrate how they can apply these skills and worldwide best practice at work.
Later units explore project management, strategy, and digital technologies in business and leadership techniques. Apprentices will reconcile their learning at the end of the final year with a substantial work-based project and through the creation of a business portfolio, demonstrating the way in which they have continually applied their knowledge directly to the context of Amazon operations.
Learning ‘on the job’ is a crucial part of any apprenticeship and up to 80% of the time participants will spend working as an Operations Team Lead.
External applicants and internal applicants who are currently in a different role will take up a role of Operations Team Lead for the duration of the apprenticeship while current Amazon Operations Team Leads will continue to work in their current role and will be allocated time off task (to attend the required workshops, webinars, as well as to research and develop their apprenticeship portfolio).
Working with a Line Manager and with line operators, you will work closely to ensure that the assigned department is performing in line with the plan and that customer expectations are met, if not exceeded.
Each learner will have a bespoke workplace placement plan, spending time working in support functions such as Procurement, Quality and, HR to broaden their business knowledge. Dedicated time each week will be set aside to complete apprenticeship wok such as research, assignment writing, webinar/online learning activities and portfolio compilation.
- Create and cultivate a safety culture by identifying safety opportunities across your work area
- Ensure that customer orders are fulfilled per quality guidelines
- Ensure that all apprenticeship activities are completed in the required timescale
- Continuously provide critical shift related information to frontline management and operators
- Adjust labour allocation within assigned department throughout the shift per latest plan
- Drive proactive actions as communicated by manager to remove barriers impacting good shift performance
- Engage with support functions and/or other departments to address common issues or needs in key areas of performance e.g. process area readiness, 5S, safety, training
- Support customers’ order fulfillment by working directly and on a regular basis on operations tasks within your department
- Deliver coaching and feedback to line operators related to productivity and quality performance, and safe behaviors
- Develop subject matter expertise on all operations processes in assigned department
- The apprenticeship should provide the foundation for graduates to move into a range of managerial roles, both in the UK and across Amazon operations globally
- The role will be working in a fast paced operations environment and will involve the working of 10 hour shifts including nights/weekend working. At busy times of the year there is an expectation that all employees will work additional shifts to cope with increased customer demand
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- You have previous experience of working in a supervisory role
- You are able to operate in a challenging and fast paced environment
- You are able to demonstrate drive and passion
- Team working, interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency using IT
- You can follow a list of guidelines and instructions (verbal or written) to deliver results and meet deadlines
- You have a practical attitude, be flexible, adaptable and proactive
- You aim to attain impeccable customer service and excellent customer facing skills
- You seek and respond well to feedback
- You have flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements
- Good organisation skills and the ability to multitask
- The ability to cope with the pressure of decision making and meeting tight deadlines
- Drive and determination
- Commercial awareness
For the apprenticeship program we prioritise applicants eligible to government funding for their apprenticeship and for this you need to:
- Have lived in the UK or in the European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 years
- Be a resident of the UK for the entire duration of the program
- If you already have a higher degree, or are studying towards a higher degree, in the same field or a related one, you will not be eligible to this apprenticeship
- Not be registered to study on a UK government funded course ending August 2021 or later
- You will be 18 years old or older before the contract’s start date
- 2 A levels at grade C/4 or above (or equivalent) in English and maths or a Science/Technology subject or Business
- plus a HND in a business management related subject
- OR 2 A levels at grade C/4 or above (or equivalent) in English and maths or a Science/Technology subject or Business plus a minimum of 2 years of experience working in a supervisory role in a manufacturing or process environment
- If you have received educational qualifications outside of the UK then we will require a Statement of Comparability to confirm your eligibility for the scheme. Please ensure you obtain one during the application process, through UK NARIC: https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/
Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship Standard:
- The apprenticeship equips its graduates with the skills to manage people, projects, operations and services successfully and sustainably
- Early units cover topics such as strategic leadership, finance, and operations and technology
- Apprentices will show how they can apply these skills and industry best practice in their workplace
- Later units explore project management, strategy, digital technologies and leadership techniques
- Operations and Technology Management
- Finance and Accounting for Managers
- Project Development
- Sustainability and Innovation
- Synoptic Business Project
- Global Strategic Management
- Business Portfolio
At the end of each year, apprentices will complete a substantial work-based project and - through their portfolio - show how they have continually applied their knowledge in their current role.
Overall, the apprenticeship will develop confident and capable leaders, who are ready for the fast-paced and ever-evolving challenges of modern business.