What will the apprentice be doing?
Learning many skills including:
- Preparing and fixing building components, from the initial erection of a new building
- Installation of all necessary fixtures and fittings
Repair and maintenance activities
- Health & Safety on site and work with an experienced mentor who will support your learning
- Calculate quality, length, area and wastage of resources
- Maintain and repair building components
- Work safely at height
- Use, maintain and store hand and power tools
- Reporting to the Site Manager, you will work with experienced trade specialists towards gaining a nationally recognised apprenticeship qualification through on and off the job, trade specific training
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Carpentry and Joinery Level 2 (GCSE)
- Block release at SMB Group, Stephenson Campus, Coalville, Leicestershire LE67 3TN
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
You’re going to have great options once you’re finished. You could progress to the Advanced Apprenticeship or work for one of our sub-contractors, set yourself up as self-employed or in some areas of the country work for us permanently as a qualified tradesperson. Some apprentices carry on training once they have completed their advanced apprenticeship and progress through our Assistant Site Manager Programme or go on to do one of our Degree Apprenticeship Programmes.
Reality CheckIf you’re passionate about becoming a qualified Carpenter then this programme is for you. You’ll want to become an expert in your craft, enjoy working outside, being part of a legacy for your community and like the idea of keeping your career options open. This is a residential training programme and you will stay away from home for block weeks.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Logical, Team working, Non judgemental, Patience, Physical fitness
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) Desired