What will the apprentice be doing?
· Learn the process of understanding drawings and work in accordance with specifications
· Take measurements and calculate the size and amount of material needed
· Installation of the following:
· Timber fixtures and fittings
· Door and window frames
· Roof trusses and wall partitions
· Floor joists and floor boards
· Temporary supports for concrete.
· Attend College on a day release basis and undertake any additional training as requested
· Take part in the apprentice review process
· Follow Health & Safety policy and procedures, including the wearing of personal protective equipment (PPE) as required
· Use all tools, equipment and materials safely
· Build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, customers and managers.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- One day per week in College, Monday at Tech Campus Oxford or Monday at Reading College.
- Apprentices must achieve a Level 2 National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) to demonstrate competency in their chosen occupation
- NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Wood Occupations – Site Carpentry
- Apprentices must complete or have previously completed recognised English and Mathematics Level 1 qualifications and aspire to achieve English and Mathematics Level 2 qualifications during the apprenticeship.
- Assessment will take place both during and at the end of the apprenticeship, with completion being dependent on successful achievement of the qualification elements and the endorsement of the employer after a professional discussion, with the apprentice and training provider.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
· Trainee Carpenter
· Supervisor / Assistant Site Manager
· Site Manager
Reality CheckThis role involves lifting, bending, kneeling and use of tools and machinery. No previous experience required but you must be enthusiastic and highly motivated to learn new skills and have a genuine interest in the construction industry.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Attention to detail, Number skills, Team working
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Maths and English (Grade 4 or above (C)) Desired