The Administrative Assistant Apprenticeship role will be embedded within our Research Administration Department, which supports the Oxford Research team in their scientific research to discover therapies for serious diseases. The successful Apprentice will display a reliable and diligent character, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of all work undertaken.
You will be trained in appropriate Microsoft Office packages including Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint and Teams. You will also be trained in Vertex-specific processes including expenses and travel procedures, email communication, Zoom meetings.
As your training progresses, you will assist in the scheduling of meetings, organising meeting facilities and catering. You will assist, and eventually take responsibility, for organising and booking travel, attendance at conferences and expense reports for assigned personnel.
You will also have the opportunity to participate in event management, including on site staff activities, seminars and conferences. Once your initial training is complete, you may be able to participate in other Research activities, for example providing administrative support to our Oxford Learning Laboratory for school students.
You will also be afforded the opportunity to participate in talks and presentations of a scientific nature which will assist in developing your knowledge of the drug discovery process from pipeline to delivery to patients.
You will be expected to work on your own initiative as well as part of the Administrative team, and may have the opportunity to work with other teams. With appropriate time, training and experience, you will be able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy and recording of the work that is undertaken. You will be proactive in finding solutions to problems and helping identify ways to improve processes.
At the end of the Apprenticeship, the Apprentice will be able to:
- Have a competent understanding of Microsoft Office software tools
- Demonstrate an understanding of business administration processes, which can be applied across all industries
- Demonstrate a proficiency in calendar management, with the ability to schedule multiple meetings across differing time zones
- Demonstrate a proficiency in Powerpoint and Excel, with the ability to produce a high level of business documentation
- Demonstrate a proficiency in organising business travel, including booking, creating itineraries, ensuring traveller has the correct documents
- Demonstrate a proficiency in reclaiming business expenses, using the appropriate software tools and ensuring formal documentation is submitted
- Demonstrate a proficiency in business communication, including formal written communications to various audiences. Demonstrate the ability to establish when informal and formal communications are necessary.
- Show experience in participating at team level in organising and facilitating events, either staff activities or scientific conferences
- Understand the business environment in which the company operates including personal role within the organisation, ethical practice and codes of conduct
- Work safely at all times, understanding the priorities of our Environmental, Health and Safety practices
- Use creative thinking and problem solving to challenge assumptions, innovate, make new proposals and build on existing ideas
- Plan and prioritise tasks, review and evaluate progress against objectives and investigate alternative scenarios
- Communicate effectively using a full range of skills; active listening, professional writing, professional body language, presentation
- Demonstrate reliability, integrity and respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters, including appropriate use of social media and information systems
- Interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Understand the impact of work on others
- Manage time effectively, being able to plan and complete work to schedule
- Able to handle change and respond to change management processes
- Take responsibility for personal development, demonstrating commitment to learning and self-improvement
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship you will be eligible to apply for other positions within the business. The training will expose the apprentice to a wide range of skills and competencies which would make them well placed for further study or suitable for many job opportunities in the sector.
- Please ensure that you currently live within or can relocate to a commutable distance of the site
- The individual will be working within a laboratory environment and must therefore adhere to site dress code procedures and personal hygiene standards during testing activities (e.g. correct use of PPE such as laboratory coats and glasses; and removal of all jewellery and make-up upon entry into controlled clean room areas).
- The individual will be required to handle hazardous materials (e.g. chemicals, microorganisms) and so must adhere to the relevant procedures.
- The work pattern involves day and shift working dependent upon the needs of the business.
- All applications to be made through Cogent Skills Recruitment – Cogent Skills will be the direct employer for this Apprenticeship and you will be hosted by Vertex
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good ability to multitask
- Problem solving skills
- Good numerical and IT skills
- Attention to detail
- Teamworker and considerate to members of team and wider organisation
- Highly motivated and drive to develop oneself
- Demonstrates reliability and integrity
To be eligible for this position you will need;
- 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) grade A*-C (4-9) including Maths and English
Level 3 Business Administrator Standard.
- Training to be provided will be a mixture of on-site training, e-learning and block release with BPP
- Training to be part of contracted hours making up the working week