What will the apprentice be doing?
- To provide a range of administrative duties including photocopying, filing, message taking, sorting, and distributing post etc.
- To respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from members of the public, suppliers, and other staff.
- To deal with all customer contact effectively, and courteously, in line with the council’s policies and procedures.
- To maintain manual and computerised systems including inputting data, keeping records, statistics, confidential and general filing systems as directed.
- To organise meetings and events, ensuring that all necessary arrangements are made.
- To research, prepare, print, photocopy and distribute documents.
- To undertake any other administration job related tasks as required.
- To carry out such other duties as may be required of you, commensurate with the grade and level of responsibility, as directed by management.
- A commitment and contribution to the Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy is an essential requirement of the post.
- The post holder will carry out all duties and activities having regard to the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and in accordance with any instructions from senior members of staff under that Act or any Council or Departmental Codes of Practice or Procedures.
- The post holder will comply with Statute and Council Policy in all respects.
- An awareness and commitment to section 17 which places a statutory duty on police and local authorities to work in partnership to reduce crime and promote community safety. It is also required that community safety is to be a thread running through all functions of the LA.
- A commitment to excellent customer service and the values of the Council.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Standard Level 3 business administrator qualification- Business administrators have a highly transferable set of knowledge, skills and behaviours that can be applied in all sectors. This includes small and large businesses alike; from the public sector, private sector and charitable sector. The role may involve working independently or as part of a team and will involve developing, implementing, maintaining and improving administrative services. Business administrators develop key skills and behaviours to support their own progression towards management responsibilities.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Potential for full time employment for the right candidate.
- Many employers retain apprentices in full/part time positions
- The qualifications you gain can also help you to get into higher education or other employment
- Being an apprentice gives you the opportunity to gain a recognised qualification and developing professional skills whilst earning a salary, inside some of Kent’s best companies.
- Once the Apprenticeship has been achieved you will have the skills, abilities and experience to update and enhance your CV, to make it attractive to potential employers.
Reality CheckWe will be interviewing candidates who meet the criteria as they apply and will recruit after a successful interview which may be before the closing date. Reality Check You will be responsible for your travel expenses to and from your place of work. Therefore, you must have the means to get to your place of work on a daily basis whilst waiting for your first wages to be paid.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Administrative skills, Team working, Ability to multi-task, Knowledge of Local Government, Experience in customer service, Confidentiality, Good telephone manner, Follow set procedures, Good time keeping skills, Good work ethic, Empathy
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 9-4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 9-4) Essential