What will the apprentice be doing?
The Housing Needs Team deals with people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness within the Gravesham area.
- To ensure a high-quality service in the performance of the Council’s statutory duties under the housing and homelessness legislation.
- To provide support to the Homeless and Allocations Team as required including dealing with telephone enquiries from customers and others, responding to emails and other internal and external correspondence.
- To carry out administrative duties to assist with the teams statutory functions, including managing the Allocation and Temporary Accommodation inbox, checking and processing invoices received from Temporary Accommodation providers, arranging placements of clients into Temporary Accommodation, liaising with Temporary Accommodation providers, monitoring rent accounts for clients placed into Temporary Accommodation.
- Provide administrative support for Team meetings i.e. setting minutes, collation and sending agenda and documents pre-meeting. Minute taking and including the recording of meeting actions.
- To use multiple IT packages and systems relevant to the organisation to: write letters or emails, create proposals, perform financial processes, record and analyse data.
- To assist in the production of accurate monthly reports and documents including sending out email reminders and following up non-compliance.
- To work as part of the Private Sector Housing Team providing an excellent level of operational support.
- To build and maintain effective working positive relationships within the team and across the organisation.
- To play a key part in preparation and delivery of the Landlord Forums and Landlord Focus Groups.
- To meet all learning commitments of the apprenticeship as directed by your line manager, the Apprenticeships Manager or the learning/training provider.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Standard Level 3 business administrator qualification- Business administrators have a highly transferable set of knowledge, skills and behaviours that can be applied in all sectors. This includes small and large businesses alike; from the public sector, private sector and charitable sector. The role may involve working independently or as part of a team and will involve developing, implementing, maintaining and improving administrative services. Business administrators develop key skills and behaviours to support their own progression towards management responsibilities.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Potential for full time employment for the right candidate.
- Many employers retain apprentices in full/part time positions
- The qualifications you gain can also help you to get into higher education or other employment
- Being an apprentice gives you the opportunity to gain a recognised qualification and developing professional skills whilst earning a salary, inside some of Kent’s best companies.
- Once the Apprenticeship has been achieved you will have the skills, abilities and experience to update and enhance your CV, to make it attractive to potential employers.
Reality CheckWe will be interviewing candidates who meet the criteria as they apply and will recruit after a successful interview which may be before the closing date. You will be responsible for your travel expenses to and from your place of work. Therefore, you must have the means to get to your place of work on a daily basis whilst waiting for your first wages to be paid.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Administrative skills, Team working, Ability to multi-task, Knowledge of Local Government, Experience in customer service, Confidentiality, Good telephone manner, Follow set procedures, Good time keeping skills, Good work ethic, Empathy
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade 9-4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 9-4) Essential