What will the apprentice be doing?
Adult Community Learning (ACL) is Essex County Council’s provider of lifelong learning experiences for Essex residents. One key area of focus is the Nightingale project.
The Nightingale Bursary is addressing the skills gaps which exist within the Health and Care workforce, as well as supporting people from the most deprived communities to gain qualifications.
Designed to recognise the vital work of the care sector and provide its staff with accessible and accredited training opportunities that would; improve quality of care, upskill workforces and instil a sense of value and recognition within the workforce.
Improving recruitment and retention to the care market remains a critical priority for ensuring adult social care needs can be met, but also supports economic objectives around securing growth and employment in key sectors.
The Business Administration Apprentice will focus on supporting the Employer Engagement team at ACL. You will be responsible for supporting our Officers in all aspects of administration, supporting the new Nightingale project. This will include the opportunity to attend events with the Employer Engagement Officers to promote apprenticeships.
For this position you will be studying towards a Business Administrator Level 3 qualification via Adult Community Learning (ACL).
The starting salary will be the National Apprenticeship Wage, £4.81 per hour. After 12 months service the salary will increase to National Living Wage (currently £9.50 per hour).
This role will focus on supporting the Employer Engagement team with all aspects of administration to include:
- Maintain information in databases and spreadsheets with up-to-date relevant information, maintaining good attention to detail
- Liaise with employers, learners and other professionals. This could be via email, phone or in person
- Create reports as and when required
- Provide support to the Marketing team with various aspects of apprenticeship marketing. This could include talking to employers or apprentice applicants on the phone or adding vacancies onto the apprenticeship website
- Assist the Business Development Lead with reports and general administration tasks
- Attend events with the Employer Engagement Officers to promote apprenticeships
The Experience You Will Bring
- Due to the Apprenticeship standard, you will need to attain a Level 2 Functional Skills in both Maths & English by the time of End Point Assessment (EPA) (if you do not already have this).
- It is essential for any applicant to meet the minimum criteria of Functional Skills Level 1 in Maths and English (or equivalent), which is a Grade D/E or 2/3 to begin the Apprenticeship Standard
- Ideally you will be educated to Grade C/4 in maths and English
- Experience in a working environment is helpful, but not essential
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
You will achieve the Level 3 Business Administrator standard, this will include Functional Skills (as required).
Our blended approach means that our programmes are flexible and enable apprentices to experience a range of learning and support opportunities in a variety of formats such as online or at a local ACL centre. You will have a dedicated tutor who you will meet (online or face to face) once a month who will guide you through your apprenticeship and prepare you for your End Point Assessment.
Additional workshops and seminars are available to all learners to support additional learning.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
ECC is a large and very diverse organisation which believes staff development is critical to our success. Our apprentices have access to a wide variety of career enhancing training and development in preparation for a more advanced role as well as further qualifications if desired. We offer excellent career prospects for the right candidate, depending on attitude and performance during the apprenticeship, and over 85% of our apprentices go on to secure permanent roles with us.
There are many opportunities for future progression and development within Essex County Council.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Team working, Initiative, Excellent written skills, Enthusiastic, Personable, Willing to learn, Good time management, Good telephone manner, "Can do" attitude, Friendly approach
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English & Maths (Grade D/E or 2/3) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths & English (Grade C/4) Desired