Looking for an exciting, varied role? Infantry Soldier is a great choice. You’re part of the Army’s front line team, taking part in all kinds of operations – from peace keeping and disaster relief to military combat. You won’t do this on your own though. You’ll work and train alongside other highly skilled soldiers – who’ll become like family. This team spirit is vital in combat and you will make friends for life. Together, you’ll take on all kinds of challenges worldwide, including Adventurous Training. With the chance to gain further qualifications after your apprenticeship, you will learn and move up the ranks too.
- As with all other infantry Soldiers, you’ll start on the HM Forces Personnel (sometimes known as Public Services) apprenticeship. You will receive full pay as a soldier: getting qualified is just part of the job
- During the selection process, you will decide which part of the infantry you wish to join. With bases all over the UK, the infantry includes the Parachute Regiment, and the Guards
- All roles are now open to women, and joining the infantry is becoming increasingly popular with female applicants
- Depending on your regiment, you could be working with armoured vehicles and state of the art weapons technology, or even in a ceremonial role guarding the Queen at Buckingham palace
Promotion to Lance Corporal may follow after about 3 years as a Private. Lance Corporals supervise small teams of up to 4 soldiers.
You'll also have the chance to specialise and go on specialist military training for example as a sniper, combat assault engineer or IT systems engineer. All of these roles can lead to further qualifications.
- You must have a good basic level of fitness and be able to work well in a group
- For more information please view the information on the Army Jobs website
- We welcome people into the Army from all backgrounds
- There is no ‘typical’ Infantry Soldier candidate!
- You don’t need any military experience, just an appetite to get stuck in and get active
- Please view all the information on the role page on the Army Jobs website
No formal qualifications required for application.
Level 2 HM Forces serviceperson (public services) apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- You start with a Combat Infantry Course (28 weeks) at The Infantry Training Centre Catterick (ITC(C)). Here, you do your basic training and your Infantry training (Phase 1 & 2)
- You’ll learn essential skills such as survival, first aid and map reading while building stamina and fitness
- If you’re aged under 17 years and 5 months, you’ll do your basic training at the Army Foundation College Harrogate for 49 weeks. You’ll then go to ITC(C) to complete your Infantry training over 10 weeks. When you finish, you’ll get your B or C category driving licence before joining your regiment
- You’ll finish your apprenticeship whilst working with your regiment
- If you have not got English and/or maths GCSE grade 4/C (or equivalent), you will be given additional support and training to achieve Functional Skills levels 1 & 2 in maths and English