Civil engineers plan, design and manage large construction projects. This could include bridges, buildings, transport links and other major structures. They use computer modelling software and data from surveys, tests and maps to create project blueprints. These plans advise contractors on the best course of action and help minimise environmental impact and risk.
This will include learning how to:
- Prepare and evaluate construction and development tenders from information provided by architects, engineers and other design consultants and negotiate and award contracts to successful proponents
- Manage, administer and co-ordinate all types of construction and development projects, including contracts and sub-contracts, construction progress schedules, cost control systems, and work measurements
- Prepare, submit and manage progress invoices, valuation of changes and finalise contracts
- Provide advice on construction cost and strategic planning to prospective owners, architects, engineers and public authorities
- Prepare and interpret tender documents, specifications, general conditions, and other parts and forms of contracts
- Prepare and submit estimates for construction and development work
- Provide commercial advice and support to construction and development project works
- Conduct or participate in arbitration and court hearings
- Research, negotiate and support dispute resolution activities
A full time role may be offered at the end of the apprenticeship.
This role is conditional on the successful applicant passing a Drugs & Alcohol test.
The successful candidate must also acquire a CSCS card.
- Strong maths and English skills are required
- Good IT Skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Driving licence preferred
- Willingness to learn
- Keen to progress into site supervision and management as a career
- Enjoy working with a wide range of individuals
- Highly motivated
- Ability to establish and maintain good and effective working relationships
- Strong work ethic
- Be thorough and pay attention to detail
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of building and construction
- Design skills and knowledge
- Able to work well with others
- Able to use your initiative
- Able to use a computer and the main software packages confidently
GCSE grade C/4 or above in maths, English and Science or equivalent qualifications.
Advanced Civil Engineering Technician Standard.
Croydon College will be the training provider for this apprenticeship.