This L2 apprenticeship is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to get started in the construction sector, working with our partner, a well-known construction company, close to the railway station in Cambridge.
The right candidate will work on site alongside an experienced Gatesman and also complete the Level 2 Customer Service Apprenticeship, which should take no more than 15 months to finish. For the right candidate there is a real opportunity for continued employment and progression with this company after the apprenticeship.
As a Gatesman you will be the first and last impression visitors to the site will have. You will be the external face of the site and the business, being responsible for meeting, greeting, assisting and supporting, staff, contractors, visitors and the general public at the site entrance. You will ensure they all enter and exit the site safely and properly without endangering or disrupting other road users or the public. The Gatesman will be provided with the appropriate PPE.
Your day to day duties will include:
- Presenting a positive image of the company to all visitors and offering assistance at all times
- Meeting all visitors and directing them to the correct entrance. At the correct entrance ensure all visitors are signed in (and out again), given a brief induction, and directed to the site manager’s / induction office
- During the Covid Pandemic, undertaking daily temperature checks, signing in and toolbox talks
- Ensure all persons attend with the correct PPE, masks, hat, boots, hi viz etc and restricting people from entering the site, that either do not have the right PPE / attitude or that do not have a right to be there
- Meet all traffic and direct to the correct gate / place and direct safely through site
- Monitor vehicle movement in and out of site ensuring deliveries are recorded and operating safely and cars etc are parked etc safely depending on the site requirements
- Ensure all vehicles are banked in / out of site
- Ensure the gates are locked / closed when not in use and pedestrians / vehicles cannot come onto site
- Ensure operators unload safely
- Contact the lifting team / manager / yardman / forklift driver to unload the vehicles in the correct location
- Keep the entrances to the site clean and tidy
- To provide support to other team members where necessary
A full-time role may be offered on completion of this apprenticeship.
This role is subject to a Drugs & Alcohol test, and the successful applicant will need to take the CSCS test.
Training and Apprenticeships in Construction Limited is acting as an Apprentice Training Agency (ATA) and will engage you for the duration of the Apprenticeship and pay your salary. You should be aware that the company/business named in this vacancy is a host employer and you will not be employed by them. Your placement may change during the course of your Apprenticeship.
- The role is designed for someone with no prior experience or specific training, although an interest in construction would be helpful
- Must be able to get to the site near Cambridge Railway Station
- Prior customer service experience would be beneficial
- Reliability: This role is integral to the safe running of the site
- Polite and able to deal with the public: You will be the face of the site on a daily basis
- Confident: You will need to deal with staff, the public and visitors. Confidence in carrying out your duties will be key
If you don’t already have GCSE grade A*-C or 9-4 or equivalents, you will be required, as part of the apprenticeship, to complete Level 2 Functional Skills in English and Maths.
The candidate will not be able to start on site until they have passed the CSCS test.
Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner.
Training is expected to be delivered by Cambridge Regional College.