(ATA) Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship (Target Validation and Protein Production) - UCB
COGENT SSC LIMITED
We are currently looking for highly motivated young scientists to join the Early Solutions department at UCB’s UK Discovery Research Hub in Slough. Working within New Modalities you will be part of a team of scientists developing novel protein-based therapeutics for areas of unmet patient need.
You will be responsible for laboratory-based tasks supporting therapeutic projects and technology development. Using a range of cutting-edge scientific technologies, you will help to enable the laboratory to function effectively whilst adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines.
You will receive training in all techniques and will have your own mentor to provide help and advice during your time at UCB. This represents a great opportunity to work in industry-leading laboratories at the cutting edge of drug discovery.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
You will be responsible for laboratory-based tasks, which include sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analysing results. Techniques will include advanced molecular biology and DNA manipulation, microbial and mammalian cell culture, protein expression, purification and characterisation.
Tasks typically involve:
- Performing experiments in order to produce data to support scientific investigations
- Carrying out tasks accurately and following strict methodologies to carry out analyses
- Recording all laboratory work to the agreed standards
- Ensuring the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced
- Helping interpret and present results in collaboration with other colleagues
- Keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability
- Following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship you will be eligible to apply for other positions within the business. The training will expose the apprentice to a wide range of skills and competencies which would make them well placed for further study or suitable for many job opportunities in the life sciences sector.
- Please ensure that you currently live within or can relocate to a commutable distance of the site
- The individual will be working within a laboratory environment and must therefore adhere to site dress code procedures and personal hygiene standards during testing activities (e.g. correct use of PPE such as laboratory coats and glasses; and removal of all jewellery and make-up upon entry into controlled clean room areas).
- The individual will be required to handle hazardous materials (e.g. chemicals, microorganisms) and so must adhere to the relevant procedures.
- The work pattern involves day and shift working dependent upon the needs of the business.
Cogent Skills offers a wide range of benefits to our employees, including:
- 26 days holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme – Workplace Pension Scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your Apprenticeship
- Discount at Pure Gym
Apprentices may be eligible for annual wage increments, subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good ability to multitask
- Problem solving skills
- Good numerical and IT skills
- Attention to detail
- Team worker and considerate to members of team and wider organisation
- Highly motivated and drive to develop oneself
- Demonstrates reliability and integrity
- 5 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths, English and science
- You must have gained a minimum of 80 UCAS points from a minimum of 2 A-level subjects including either Chemistry or Biology (or equivalent, e.g. BTEC) and an additional science or maths
Higher level Technician Scientist apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Training to be provided will be a mixture of on-site training, e-learning and block release with University of Kent
- FdSc Applied Bioscience (Foundation Degree) with potential to progress to BSc (Hons) Degree in Applied Bioscience
- Training to be part of contracted hours making up the working week
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free