Arconic is manufacturing company based in Kitts Green, Birmingham. We produce aluminium plate primarily for the aerospace industry but also operate in other markets such as defence. The plant was built in 1938 and produced high strength aluminium alloys for aircraft and ships during the second world war.
We are looking to recruit a mechanical maintenance apprentice to commence work with us as soon as possible. This is a four-year apprenticeship programme with the first year being spent at Make UK’s Training Centre in Birmingham. The remaining three years will be spent on site with working alongside experienced maintenance personnel with day release to our training provider.
This is an exciting opportunity with long-term career prospects and an excellent starting salary. Successful candidates will be working alongside the existing team to carry out predictive, preventative and breakdown maintenance on a diverse range of machinery.
This is a diverse role that will provide opportunities and experiences in a multi-functional manufacturing setting where no two days will be the same. Arconic has excellent opportunities for career progression. Past examples of successful apprentices include our Maintenance Manager, Engineers, and Instrumentation personnel.
Arconic invests in personal development and will support further education where linked to business need.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Assist in preventative, predictive, and routine maintenance work
- Identify and ensure critical spares are stocked and reordered
- Co-ordinate with suppliers to supply spare parts for machines
- Carry out TPM (Preventative Maintenance) schedules
- Carry out the maintenance of plant machinery, electrically or mechanically (depending on your role)
- Identifying and liaise with suppliers of maintenance services when required
- Investigating maintenance problems affecting production and identify improvements
- Maintain and record work and machine breakdown history
Successful apprentices can look forward to a long career within Arconic, with previous apprentices now being in roles such as Engineers, Instrumentation personnel and Maintenance Manager.
During the COVID 19 Pandemic, please be aware that Make UK and Arconic are working hard to ensure social distancing throughout the recruitment process.
This may mean telephone or video conference interviews or social distanced assessment days.
- Good communication skills
- Have some experience in making or repairing items
- Good timekeeping skills
- Have excellent attendance
- The ideal apprentice will show a real interest in the work of a maintenance engineer
- Willing to carry out the daily routine of pre maintenance checks and reporting
- An interest in or practical experience of mechanical or electrical principles
GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) in maths, science, and English.
Desired but not essential:
- GCSEs at grades B/6 or above (or equivalent) in maths
- BTEC or C&G certificates, Electrical or Mechanical, or other commercial qualifications to a similar level (or equivalent)
This 4-year Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship will include:
- Engineering Basic Skills training – off the job full time at Make UK in Aston, Birmingham
- NVQ Level 3 in Engineering
- A Technical Certificate (BTEC Diploma Level 3 in Engineering)
- In house training in line with your requirements