As an apprentice, the successful candidate will be expected to work as part of a team and support senior members of the department.
The majority of the Apprentice Veneerer’s day will be occupied by learning all aspects of veneering.
Main duties and responsibilities will include:
- Knowledge of materials, such as veneer types and species of veneers, different cuts of veneers etc
- Various processes of veneering and basic veneering techniques
- Selecting, cutting and jointing veneers and preparing and matching veneers
- Pressing veneers and types of adhesives used
- Advanced veneering techniques such as crossbanding, inlays, marquetry, using hand cut and laser cut veneers, radial cuts and use of miscellaneous inlays, such as steel, brass or mother of pearl
- Selecting and preparing veneers for table tops and bespoke commissions
- Working with construction veneers
- Safe use of hand tools and machinery within the workshop environment
- To progress onto full time employment
- Keen and willing to learn
- Punctual & reliable
- Keen interest in the industry
- Driving licence preferable but not essential
- Must have good practical ability and a good knowledge of Health & Safety
- No formal qualifications required
- Level 2 Apprenticeship in Furniture Manufacturer, including NVQ and functional skills maths and English. Work based learning.