Apprentice Underwriter with American International Group - Advanced (Level 3)
American International Group
BPP PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION LIMITED
AIG’s underwriters develop insurance solutions that address the exposures of companies and individuals, and embody AIG’s tradition of innovation, bringing to market ground-breaking insurance solutions for our changing world. AIG’s underwriters help to find insurance solutions for risks from a range of areas including life insurance, aviation, financial lines, casualty, environmental, catastrophic events, high net worth individuals, and boardroom liabilities.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities for the Role:
- To perform technical underwriting and claim tasks for different AIG business areas
1.To undertake defined technical underwriting duties in line with standard operating procedures and service level agreements to support and assist underwriters for both new and renewal business.
- Work with other stakeholders (e.g. claims, actuarial, finance) to broaden knowledge of the underwriting market
- Maintain and update effective workflow processes
- Meet all agreed and approved Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Ensure contract certainty
2. To develop the required underwriting knowledge and skills to effectively support the underwriting process.
- Be able to identify key risks associated with specific industry sectors and individual clients
- Be able to identify macroeconomic factors that will increase clients exposure to risk events
- Understand how AIG assesses those risks and the underwriting strategy that should be applied
- Understand how AIG prices risk via day-to-day underwriting tools
- Handle and input to designated underwriting portfolios (e-trade platform, branch business)
- Ensure that all data is entered accurately
- Understand the various insurance products that AIG offers our clients and customers, plus a basic understanding of AIG’s underwriting strategy and vision
- Understand underwriting authority and how it is obtained
- Communicate with London / regional underwriters throughout the UK, plus brokers, if appropriate
- Adhere to all Compliance requirements
3. Support the management of renewal lists in addition to team prospect list (Salesforce) as well as running and supplementing team with daily reports to support the management of the business workflow (lost business report, risks due for expiry report).
- Background information for broker relationship meetings (income reporting, loss runs, renewal / prospect lists, targets)
- Provide timely reporting on reinsurance submissions / closed vs EPI, AQI bandings where required
4. To undertake all learning and developmental aspects relating to the AIG Advance programme e.g. CII Cert qualification, off-the-job and on-the-job activities and tasks.
- Utilise internal on-line training tools
- Undertake the targeted Chartered Insurance Institute training programmes
Once you’ve successfully completed the AIG Advance programme, you will have the opportunity to transition into the next stage of your career pathway within AIG. This includes outlining a career preference within a specific business area; distribution, claims or underwriting and line of business, such as Property, Casualty, Financial Lines, Personal Insurance etc.
Further, AIG will continue to invest in your learning advancement by funding your level 4 – Insurance Professional (CII – Diploma) apprenticeship, plus you will gain auto-enrolment onto our award nominated AIG Insurance Academy programme. This global programme is geared towards individuals who are progressing in their early career from being a contributor to an influencer. A fantastic opportunity to visit our HQ in New York, whilst meeting like-minded individuals from across AIG’s global footprint.
Please ensure that you apply for the position as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. The closing date is a rough guideline as to when an advert will close. The advert may close before the given closing date if the employer has filled the position(s).
BPP have a dedicated team who support students with disabilities, learning difficulties, health conditions and wellbeing. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries or would like more information.
- Strong communication skills to engage with a wide range of diverse individuals
- Good organisational skills are required to ensure prioritisation and find effective solutions to any problems that you may encounter
- Strong teamwork skills are essential to develop relationships with colleagues when working towards a common project or purpose
- Good analytical skills to research and analyse key factors to determine and recognise patterns to inform business decisions
- Excellent interpersonal skills along with the ability to build and grow relationships with both internal colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work on own initiative and work well under pressure
- Drive: You have the determination to work harder than most and make sure things get done. You pride yourself on seeing things getting completed and you take charge when necessary. You drive yourself with purpose and align yourself with excellence
- Self-reliance: You can shoulder responsibilities and be accountable. You make hard decisions and stand by them. To think for yourself is to know yourself
- Integrity: Honesty is the best policy for everything you do; integrity creates character and defines who you are
- Passion: If you want to succeed, it’s important that you have passion for what you do and what you learn
- 5 GCSEs A*-C (9-4) including Maths and English or equivalent qualifications
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points (B,B,C) from top 3 A Levels or equivalent qualifications
As an Insurance Practitioner Apprentice with BPP, you will complete the Insurance Practitioner level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship. This apprenticeship is aligned to the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) and uses an innovative and flexible approach to demonstrating competency in the workplace. Completion of the apprenticeship will result in the awarding of the CII Certificate (IF1/ IF2 and choice of IF3/ 4/ 10).
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.