An Apprentice Teaching Assistant is required at Goldwyn School. This post offers a unique opportunity to make a difference to students who are likely to have experienced little previous success within a school environment. Goldwyn Students are of mixed and high ability (NC level 3-4 on entry) and as such are capable of achieving GCSE and other Level 2 qualifications in Year 11.
Main Duties -
- Assist teacher with learning activities ensuring health and safety and good behaviour of students.
- Support the students in accessing learning activities as directed by the teacher to enable students’ progress towards their targets. Be aware of and support differences to ensure all students have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop.
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety, security and confidentiality reporting all concerns to an appropriate person to ensure students’ wellbeing.
- Ensure the maintenance of a clean, orderly and safe working environment making sure that equipment/resources/materials are set out on time and as per instructions received and used safely to enable students meet their learning targets.
- Provide clerical/admin support (e.g. photocopying and display etc.) and undertake basic recording keeping in respect of student learning, behaviour management, child protection etc. as directed in order to support the teacher deliver the specific learning programmes set for each child.
- Undertake training and other learning activities and attend relevant meetings (within contracted hours) as required to ensure own continuing professional development.
- Contribute to the overall work/aims of the school and appreciate and support the role of colleagues and other professionals to enable the school fulfil its development plans etc.
Necessary Experience -
- Good standard of general education together with good numeracy and literature skills.
- Previous experience of working with children.
- Use basic technology (computer, video, photocopier)
- Knowledge of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety, security, equal opportunities and confidentiality.
Scope for impact -
- Teaching Assistants provide support to teachers and schools allowing qualified teachers to make even more effective use of their time, professional knowledge, skills and understanding. TAs contribute to students’ learning and emotional well-being which will have a significant impact on students’ achievement.
Job context -
- TAs will be expected to work effectively with individual students and/or small groups under the direction and supervision of a class teacher. They will contribute to, and need to demonstrate skills in, planning, monitoring, assessment and class management. TAs would also be expected to work as part of the school team and contribute to plans to ensure the school meets its aims.
- The post holder must work within the relevant policies, codes of practice and legislation reporting any concerns to the relevant person.
- The post holder must have good communication skills to be able to inform, persuade, inspire and motivate students and provide feedback to other professionals and parents as required.
PLEASE NOTE -
- Our offer is subject to a satisfactory enhanced disclosure and barring check, pre-employment health check and receipt of 2 satisfactory references.
- Potential for full time employment for the right candidate.
- Many employers retain apprentices in full/part time positions
- The Qualifications you gain can also help you to get into higher education or other employment
- Being an apprentice gives you the opportunity to gain a recognised qualification and developing professional skills whilst earning a salary, inside some of Kent’s best companies.
- Once the Apprenticeship has been achieved you will have the skills, abilities and experience to update and enhance your CV, to make it attractive to potential employers.
We will be interviewing candidates who meet the criteria as they apply and will recruit after a successful interview which may be before the closing date.
You will be responsible for your travel expenses to and from your place of work. Therefore, you must have the means to get to your place of work on a daily basis whilst awaiting for your first wages to be paid.
- Special Educational Needs experience would be preferable
- Good standard of written and spoken English
- Understanding of child protection and safeguarding
- Computer literate
- Sense of humour
GCSE grades 9-4 (A* to C) in maths, English and Science or equivalent qualifications in these subjects.
- Level 3 Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills in maths and English if required
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Standard.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.