Apprentice Support Engineer (ASSE) is a software development role that involves the management and resolution of customer issues and is the first point of contract for third-line support in the HealthStore development team. They will triage support requests made by the Support and Services teams and work with the development team to determine a course of action.
As the ASSE gains familiarity with the HealthStore product set they will respond to support requests directly, working with the developers and the product codebase. As deep knowledge of the product is gained the ACE is likely to move into a software development role. The ACE will receive guidance and support from the SEM and members of the development team.
The ASSE will provide internal support to the development teams in providing and configuring tests systems and test data. The ASSE will also work to find solutions or workarounds to resolve priority customer Support issues requiring Level 3 support. 20% of time will be spent on training; as a part-time undergraduate at London South Bank University during term-time and internally at other times.
Primary Objectives and Responsibilities
- Developing a deep understanding of the product codebase and the underlying technologies to gain an expert understanding of the product and how it is used by our customers
- Determine the root cause of any support issue either independently or with the support of the development team
- Primary point of contact for escalated support cases for the HealthStore product components
- Working closely with the development team to support new developments
- Providing internal support by provisioning and configuring test and demonstration systems for the development, Quality Assurance and Test functions
- Developing internal tools to automate repetitive or time-consuming tasks
- Taking an active part in the software development lifecycle, including sprint planning, review and retrospective ceremonies and to work with other team members and stakeholders to support the development and delivery of quality software
It is expected that the ASSE will become a full member of the development team with the opportunity to advance to a Software Engineer role
BridgeHead Software is now operating on a mainly-remote basis, with staff based at home. All equipment will be provided and an additional allowance is paid. When conditions allow, there will be periodic face-to-face meetings in a location reachable by public transport.
- An aptitude for coding
- An excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, including basic administration tasks
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office or similar business applications
- Able to work effectively in a team-based software development environment
- Good personal and written communication skills
- Keen interest in technology
- An inquisitive mind
- A Level BCC or; * BTEC National Diploma DMM or;
- Access to HE qualifications with 9 Distinctions and 36 Merits or;
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 112 UCAS points
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above)
The Digital & Technology Solutions Professional degree programme is to be delivered over 4 years on a day release (full day and evening) basis.
Through the Degree Apprenticeship delivery model, we are seeking to work directly with employers to ensure work based projects are embedded into the apprentice learning whilst ensuring those projects are relevant to the workplace and are of benefit to the business.