Purpose of role:
To work under the direction and guidance of an experienced supervisor or craftsperson, carrying out all aspects of carpentry work on new builds and refurbishments. The job holder will work towards and be expected to achieve a Level 2 qualification in Site Carpentry. You will report to the Contracts Manager.
Key Accountabilities may include:
- Learn the process of understanding drawings and work in accordance with specifications
- Take measurements and calculate the size and amount of material needed
- Installation of the following: Timber fixtures and fittings, Door and window frames, Roof trusses and wall partitions, Floor joists and floor boards, Temporary supports for concrete, Kitchen and bathroom units
- Attend College on a day release basis, and undertake any additional training as requested
- Take part in the apprentice review process
- Follow Health & Safety policy and procedures, including the wearing of personal protective equipment (PPE) where needed
- Use all tools, equipment and materials safely
- Build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, customers and managers
If you are able to start before the close/start date then this can be negotiated however college attendance will not begin until September 2021.
Once the course is complete and apprentice is taken on as a subcontractor they will be paid on a price or daywork basis and will be monitored to ensure experience is rounded for a career in site carpentry.
You will be given a 3 day trial on site so you can experience your new working environment. PGM can offer experience for all the practical skills required to qualify. National apprentice wage for the first year and then national minimum wage for your age following. You will attend West Suffolk College for one day a week.
- Able to understand and follow instructions
- Able to work as part of a team
- Good knowledge of English and communication skills
- Good understanding of maths
- Able to follow safety guidelines at all times
- A willingness to learn and committed engagement throughout
- Can pay close attention to detail
- Can be flexible in work activities, locations and hours of work
- Ability to work in external environments and work at height
GCSE grade 4 (C) or above or equivalent in maths and English are desired.
Carpentry and Joinery Level 2 Apprenticeship.