What will the apprentice be doing?
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join a friendly, busy finance team. Full training will be given in this apprenticeship role.
The finance department services all the finance needs of the organisation, within this the sales ledger team work with CI staff and customers to ensure that customers are invoiced efficiently and payments are received promptly.
This apprenticeship role of sales ledger assistant is a responsible position and it supports the sales ledger and treasury team in providing a service to Colchester Institute.
- To assist with all aspects of the sales ledger, maintaining up to date records, accounting for monies received and issuing invoices and credit notes as required in accordance with financial regulations and policies and procedures.
- Issue timely reminder letters and initiate debt collection activities in order to safeguard invoiced amounts.
- To deal tactfully and sensitively with queries arising from colleagues, students and external customers.
- To assist with the administration of educational visits, to include the setting up of visits on the online store and setting up new products for sale and providing reports and refunds.
- To assist in the month end close procedure and the preparation of management report summaries.
- To set up and monitor standing order payment plans and RCP payment plans.
- To monitor and assist with debt collector agency procedures.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- The apprentice will be working towards the Assistant Accountant Level 3 apprenticeship standard.
- All delivered within the work place via online training and at Colchester Institute Campus.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
This role could lead to other Finance roles within the Colchester Institute Finance department or in other organisations. The roles could include those in Sales Ledger, Purchase Ledger and Management Accounts departments.
For the right person there could be the opportunity to take a further apprenticeship to study for AAT level 4.
Studying for the AAT qualifications is also the first step for to take for some who wish to continue to progress further within Finance and who want to study for professional accounting qualifications e.g. ACCA, ACA, CIMA.
Reality CheckThis is an office based role, primarily working with the Finance team and using a computer for most of the day.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English and maths (Grade A*-C/9-4 or Equivalent) Essential