What will the apprentice be doing?
- Greeting patients politely and ensuring that the appointment system is run efficiently, monitor the flow of patients to and from consulting rooms, managing queues through telephone and face to face interaction
- Ensure patients are informed if a doctor is running late or called out
- Ensure “urgent extras” are monitored with appropriate guidance
- Advise patients of relevant charges for non-NHS services, accept payment and issue receipt for same.
- Explain practice arrangements and requirements for new and temporary patients
- Give new patients the “new patient pack” and invite them in for a simple medical check up
- Respond to all queries and requests for assistance from patients and other visitors to the practice as appropriate
- Enter requests for home visits into the day book, including all relevant information
- Deal efficiently with emergency situations
- Keep reception areas clean and tidy
- Handle specimens as per practice protocol
Management of appointment system:
- Maintain working knowledge of the appointment system i.e. times of all clinics, duration of appointments, knowledge of computer system, doctors rotas, procedures for booking routine and urgent appointments
- Book appointments accurately and appropriately, initialling data entries
- Monitor daily available appointments and report any overload to supervisor as appropriate. Ensure sufficient appointments are blocked off for urgent and triage appointments
Operation of telephone system:
- Receive and make calls as required
- Divert calls and take messages as appropriate, recording information for Doctors to action (home visits, phone calls etc)
- Ensure phones are accurately transferred to and from night duty service by programming the switchboard to set procedures.
- Ensure that all patient interactions are dealt with confidentially and any confidential paperwork is dealt with in accordance with practice protocol
- Provide non clinical patient care, dealing with requests for information, test results, requests to speak to clinical staff, ensuring confidentiality and privacy for patients
- Ensure patients have access to any relevant leaflets, support groups, carers association etc.
Information technology and audit duties
- Maintain working knowledge of computer/clinical system, reporting any problems reception manager
- Adhere to practice policies regarding security and confidentiality, records management roles and responsibilities and computer skills
- Respond to and action practice notes
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Training will be provided by the Deputy Manager and also shadowing of a reception staff member.
Business Administrator Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard:
Apprenticeship Delivery: Work based qualification. A tutor will visit you every 4-6 weeks in your work place
- The Apprenticeship programme is made up of different units. Apprentices will be assessed on their knowledge, skills and behaviours throughout the apprenticeship and tracked online using an e-portfolio
These are grouped into 3 themes which complement each other and are as follows:
- Core Business & Administration
- Managing Self & Personal Skills
- Using Resources & Achieving Results
- After each theme is complete, a Mock End Point Assessment is carried out to ensure apprentices are prepared for the End Point Assessment at the end of the programme
- After a minimum of 372 days and successful delivery of the programme, the end point assessment will take place
- The end-point assessment is a synoptic assessment of the skills, behaviours and knowledge that have been developed throughout the apprenticeship
- End-Point Assessments will involve an independent assessor carrying out final assessments with the apprentice, to ensure that the competences and learning within the ‘Apprenticeship Standard’ have been met
- Apprentices can achieve a pass, merit or distinction dependent on how well they perform in their End-Point Assessment
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Full time employment and career development
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Team working
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade A-C, 4-9) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A-C, 4-9) Essential