Apprentice - Rail Engineering Technician (Level 3)
SIEMENS MOBILITY LIMITED
SIEMENS PUBLIC LIMITED COMPANY
Believe there’s more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We believe our apprenticeship programmes are the best alternative to college for ambitious and hard-working students. Especially as you’ll gain a technical and occupational qualification, whilst earning a salary as well as the reputation that comes with working for a digital pioneer like Siemens.
Here at Siemens we build a better world using digital skills to create greener energy, ground breaking software and ingenious inventions.
Siemens Mobility is the leading passenger train maintainer in the UK, looking after over 1600 vehicles for customers like Heathrow Express, London Northwestern Railway and South Western Railway. Billions of pounds are being invested in major rail projects and Siemens Mobility is playing its part in making these a success. We deliver innovative and technologically advanced solutions to help make journeys punctual, comfortable and safe.
We are recruiting school and college leavers to join our Rail Engineering Technician apprenticeship scheme who want to make a difference and develop their skills in Engineering and Train Maintenance.
Part of being an apprentice at Siemens means you get to work on real life projects whilst also being supported on a guided learning journey. This will be a 3 year apprenticeship where you will be put onto the Rail Engineering Technician standard and earn your level 3 in Rail Engineering Technician Knowledge and Competence, with a pathway into Traction and Rolling Stock.
Here is how the programme works:
- Year 1: You will spend your first year in college studying towards your Foundation and Knowledge qualifications, and we will begin integrating you into the Siemens community through work placements during the academic break
- Year 2: College will be on a 1 day a week basis at this point. You’ll spend the rest of your time as part of a busy production team preparing trains for service, completing routine maintenance, and carrying-out fault finding. You will also begin your workplace-based Competence qualification
- Year 3: You’ll spend your third and final year continuing to develop and demonstrating technical, occupational, and professional competence, as you prepare for a role as a Traction and Rolling Stock Maintenance Technician. You will complete your Competence qualification and prepare your portfolio for End-Point Assessment
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You should have 5 GCSEs 4-9 (A-C) 2 of them being English Language and maths
- You should have good communication skills, both written and verbal
- As the apprenticeship involves completing academic qualifications and occupational skills developments, you should have good organisational skills and be able to manage your time appropriately
- You must be willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly, and take ownership of challenges and ideas
- Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however its also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours
- You should be IT literate, able to use Microsoft Office packages
The benefits of a Rail apprenticeship:
- Continue your learning beyond college/school whilst earning a salary of £12,500, with annual increments, at the same time and an annual bonus!
- Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled professionals who will help you on your learning journey
- As an apprentice, you will receive first-rate training and tuition from Siemens, the National Training Academy for Rail (NTAR), and your local College
- Stay at the fore-front of innovation by joining Europe's leading engineering and technology company
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medial care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
What else do I need to know?
We’re looking for forward-thinking teammates with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in the world of Rail. Think this is you? Join us. Apply Now.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Subject to a good training record, you could be offered a fulltime position with Siemens Mobility Ltd.
- Highly motivated
- Think logically
- Willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- Clear communication both verbally and written
- Keen to develop a knowledge of the industry
- Keen interest in Engineering
- Great team player and working as part of a wider team
- Can work independently, safely and responsibly
- Take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change
- Identify with our values of zero harm
- Excellent and responsible
- We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however it also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours
You should have 5 GCSEs 4-9 (A*-C) 2 of them being English Language and maths.
As the apprenticeship involves completing academic qualifications and occupational skills developments, you should have good organisational skills and be able to manage your time appropriately.
The training provided will be through college where you will gain Rail Engineering Technician (Level 3).
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.