An exciting opportunity has arisen at Diamond Day Nursery for a keen Apprentice Production Chef to join the friendly team at our busy Nursery.
- You will perform many basic tasks of food preparation to start with and have a natural flair for cooking
- Create fun and nutritional snacks/dishes for all children attending the nursery, including those with specific dietary requirements
- To assist with the washing of all pots, crockery, cutlery, utensils and pans to a high standard, ensuring they are stored in the correct place and in a tidy manner
- Follow safe working practices for children and staff to comply with food hygiene and safety policies
- Interact in a friendly manner with children, parents, staff and visitors to promote menus and health eating guidelines
- Play a role in the education of our children’s development by promoting good hygiene standards and spending time within the rooms teaching them basic cooking skills and promoting healthy eating
- Safeguarding children is your priority making sure all children in the setting are safe and protected from harm
- Assist the nursery chef to provide high quality, nutritious, freshly prepared meals and snacks in appropriate portion sizes and consistencies
- When required, accept deliveries and store away appropriately following correct manual handling techniques and effective stock rotation
- Maintain hygiene standards in the kitchen, to meet internal audit requirements
- Comply with the company’s procedures relating to the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH). Through understanding the principles of storing and using cleaning materials safely and taking precautions to protect yourself and others and ensure that records are up to date and available
- You will also be required to keep up to date with all Apprenticeship work, and to have regular meetings (every 4-6 weeks) with the Regional Trainer to discuss your work
This is a temporary position for the duration of the apprenticeship programme (17 months), with the possibility of permanent employment upon the completion of the apprenticeship programme for the right candidate.
You will be required to have a DBS check (police clearance) as this catering apprenticeship will be based in a childcare environment.
This vacancy may close early if sufficient applications are received. Please ensure you apply early to avoid disappointment.
Whilst on an apprenticeship an apprentice is entitled to an NUS card https://www.apprenticeextra.co.uk/
- Organisational skills
- Ability to use initiative
- Good communication skills
- Excellent timekeeping
- Enthusiastic approach to all aspects of work
- Professional and presentable appearance
- Passion for food
GCSE grade 9-4 (A*-C) in English and maths, or equivalent qualifications.
L2 Production Chef
As an Apprentice you will be included on a Level 2 Production Chef Apprenticeship.
This will include the completion of functional skills in maths and English.
Apprenticeship standards are aimed at developing skills within the Apprentices’ chosen career route, each standard has set knowledge, skills and behaviours required to be successful within the job role.
Once the Apprentice has completed a minimum of 14 months training and the employer and Babcock regional trainer confirm they have met all the requirements of the standard they will be put through to end point assessment.
The end point assessment is independent from the training and includes a variety of assessment methods which test the skills and knowledge of the Apprentice to ensure they are fully competent in their role.
Each Apprentice will be supported throughout the apprenticeship by a structured programme of teaching, e-learning, one to one training and workplace mentoring; this will encourage and help them to meet the requirements of the new standards and will prepare them for the end of point assessment.