Within this role you will learn to plan, select, install, service, commission and maintain all aspects of plumbing and heating systems.
Main duties will include:
- Learning core plumbing systems, including the selection, planning, installation and testing of cold and hot water, central heating, above drainage and rainwater systems
- Commissioning and de-commissioning of systems
- Servicing, maintenance, fault diagnosis, and repair techniques on cold and hot water, central heating, above drainage and rainwater systems
- Learning installation and testing techniques for electrical components and control systems on plumbing and domestic heating systems
- Understanding scientific plumbing, domestic heating and mechanical principles
- Understanding principles of domestic mechanical environmental technology systems
- Principles of fossil fuels (domestic ventilation and fluing arrangements)
- Accurately complete documentation including legislative documentation accurately and timely in line with policy and procedure.
- Work as part of a team and use materials safely.
- Build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, customers and managers to ensure effectiveness of services.
- Understand and comply with Health and Safety in the workplace following safety policies and procedures, helping to identify and reduce hazards
- To attend in-housing training and college as required including participation in the apprentice review process.
- Comply with Gasway confidentiality and information security polices at all times.
- To act as an ambassador for Gasway at all times.
Successful Apprentices will be offered a position within the company following completion of their Apprenticeship. A structured development path will be implemented for all newly qualified Engineers supporting continued development of competence – competence and performance are linked to pay progression.
Candidates will need:
- Ability to work in external environments.
- Ability to undertake work involving bending, lifting and working at height.
- Must be able to meet the travel requirements of the post.
- Driving License - although not required as an Apprentice, driving is a paramount requirement when a qualified Gas Engineer and therefore a willingness to learn to drive essential.
- 22 days holiday per year + Bank Holidays
- Company Sick Pay Scheme
- Life Insurance
- Full Company Uniform provided
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Good Customer Service Skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to listen and follow instructions
- Good attention to detail
- Good at problem solving
- Good practical skills
- Commitment and a strong work ethic
- Excellent time management skills
- Able to use initiative
- Takes ownership
- Well organised
- Flexible approach to work
- A positive attitude
For this Level 3 Apprenticeship course, applicants will need a total of 3 to 5 GCSEs at grade (A*-C) or (9-4) which includes:
- GCSE grade (A*-C) or (9-4) in English
- GCSE grade (A*-C) or (9-4) in Science
- GCSE grade (A*-B) or (9-5) in Maths
For the full Apprenticeship, candidates will complete:
- Level 3 Plumbing & Domestic Heating Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths
Apprentices who do not already hold a Level 2 in Maths and English will be required achieve this prior to End Point Assessment.
For the End Point Assessment, apprentices will undertake a multiple choice test, design project, practical installation test, practical application test, and professional discussion.
Following completion of the Apprenticeship, the apprentice will be able to register as EngTech with the Engineering Council through The Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE) and/or The Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE).
Apprentices will also be able to obtain a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Card through the Joint Industry Board for Plumbing and Mechanical Engineering Services (JIB-PMES) following completion of the Health and Safety Assessment.