The team has decades of experience handling medical negligence cases and specialise in areas including birth injuries, orthopaedic injuries, and cancer misdiagnosis claims. We gather expert advice on client’s care needs, ensuring that their compensation helps them to access the support they need to enjoy the best quality of life possible.
Our medical negligence solicitors understand what you’re going through and can help our clients’ access specialist rehabilitation and support services to assist with their recovery.
A Paralegal Apprentice within the SI Southampton team will help our solicitors to investigate and progress their caseload.
The role will include creating and organising case files, obtaining and reviewing records and documents, carrying out legal research and contacting clients. We have varied caseloads including road traffic claims, workplace injuries, occupiers and public liability claims and fatal accident claims.
There will also be opportunity to learn and develop drafting skills as well as liaising with external parties including medical experts, Counsel, and witnesses.
Specific duties will include organising meetings, conferences, and hearings, collating bundles, reviewing medical and treating records and assisting with diary organisation.
Your main responsibilities within the department will include the following:
- Communicating with clients, other firms of solicitors and third parties by telephone or in writing including taking basic client instructions and providing case updates when appropriate
- Achieve time recording and fee income targets to ensure profitable working
- Ensuring compliance with the firm’s policies and procedures
- Attending appropriate training events as and when required
- Conducting Legal Research as requested by members of the team
- Completing relevant administration duties including photocopying, scanning documents, amending documentation, filing, archiving and file maintenance
Many people accept permanent roles with us after completing their apprenticeship. We’ll help you develop your skills further and you will have opportunities to advance to more senior positions.
Wherever your career takes you, you’ll have an industry-recognised qualification and training from one of the UK’s top law firms as proof of your skills and knowledge.
Annual Salary: £17,290
Assessment Events are earmarked to take place mid-October.
The closing date is 24th September 2021 and we reserve the right to close the advert earlier should we receive an unprecedented number of applications.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Proficient in IT packages including Microsoft Office packages e.g. Word, and Excel
- A strong desire to work within in a legal environment
- Discretion and ability to work in a confidential environment, dealing with sensitive and confidential situations appropriately
- Ability to work well in a business environment
- Ability to work under close supervision and also be able to work under your own initiative
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability to work as an effective team member
- Ability to be flexible to suit the needs of the department
- Ability to work at speed whilst maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
5 GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including maths and English.
3 A levels at grades A to C (or equivalent) excluding General Studies.
Level 3 Paralegal apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)