This is an excellent opportunity to start your career as a Painter and Decorator in our Building Maintenance Team, working on our Council owned housing stock (currently 4500+ properties). You will be keen and committed to developing your skills and we will in turn train you in every aspect of Painting and Decorating works that we undertake.
You will be required to assist our experienced Painter's and Decorator's with:
- General painting/decorating tasks on domestic properties.
- Providing excellent customer service to our tenants/customers
- Working to workplace health & safety company standards
- Keeping the workplace clean and tidy
Although we cannot guarantee a position at the end of the apprenticeship, we have an established and successful apprenticeship scheme, which has seen over 80% of apprentices stay on beyond their apprenticeships to develop promising careers with the Council.
- On occasions, operatives are required to be cleanly shaven in order to wear Respiratory Protective Equipment. (This also includes the fitting of RPE). This is in order to comply with the Health and Safety at Work Etc Act 1974 You will need to be committed to travelling to Suffolk New College (Ipswich) for your course, which may involve an early start if you do not drive and will be travelling via train, with the academic day generally starting at 9am and finishing at approximately 4pm (subject to confirmation). Transport costs for college will be covered by East Suffolk Council.
- Demonstrate a customer orientated approach.
- Be able to communicate effectively with other officers, tenants or contractors.
- Be able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Be able to work on own initiative.
- To be interested and very keen to learn in all areas of painting and decorating work.
- A commitment to own development and to supporting training and development initiatives
Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and maths at grades 9- 4 for a Level 3 Apprenticeship and 9-3 for a Level 2. Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship. PLEASE NOTE: All applicants regardless of entry requirements will be emailed an Initial Assessment to complete as part of the recruitment procedure. This is an online assessment in English and maths and can be completed at your preferred location remotely. Currently, due to COVID19 we are not offering Initial Assessment appointments at either campus. Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, will be offered further advice and guidance to support their application if required.
Painter and decorator level 2.
Painters and Decorators operate in domestic and commercial properties and undertake the decoration and protection of buildings. They are responsible for their own work using a range of methods and application of paint coating and wallcoverings to a high quality finish ensuring, also complying to statutory, safety and environmental requirements. The apprentice will complete an End point Assessment to demonstrate that they can perform knowledge, skills and behaviours in their occupation.