What will the apprentice be doing?
You will be trained to carry out planned preventative and unplanned maintenance, general maintenance of equipment, modifying, testing, inspecting, condition-based monitoring and fault finding within systems. You will work alongside other functions within the plant, ensuring all reporting is effective and activities are followed through to completion. You will use risk assessments and method statements to ensure activities are completed in a safe manner, in line with company procedures.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Company Training Plan
- 4 x Level 2 Foundation Competency Units. (Delivered in yr 1 at either Warwick College or Abingdon & Witney College depending on which works best geographically)
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering - Development Knowledge (1 day per wk for 2 years in with ETT in Bicester)
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Eng Maintenance (workplace)
Level 2 F/Skills - Maths (if req)
- Level 2 Functional Skills - English (if req)
- End Point Assessment at the end of the apprenticeship
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Potential progression to full time Mechanical Engineering Technician on site at Ardley or one of Viridor's other sites. Following that the career path is to progress to Mechanical Engineer, overseeing all Mechanical Technicians and works on site.
Reality CheckThis is a varied role and may involve working at heights once fully trained, working outside occasionally, working with computers, and working on a wide variety of systems at the Viridor plant including cranes, conveyors, and pressure systems. UK driving licence and the use of a car. As you would be required to attend equipment breakdowns.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Customer care skills, Team working, Initiative, Use and Learn software program, Interest in Elect/Mech eng, Work to tight time schedules
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent Min five GCSE's inc Eng,Math, Sci (Grade C -A* (4-9)) Essential