Working with the BAM Ritchies Laboratory Team you will test the behaviour of construction constituents including all Earthworks materials, concrete, and aggregates.
The results of these tests will be used to improve the performance of existing products, to eliminate faults with materials already in use, and to help with the development of new technologies.
This is a unique opportunity to develop a career within the construction sector, offering you the chance to develop skills and specialisations that are highly sought.
Within this role you will develop an understanding and knowledge of the implementation of various methods to examine construction materials. Through training and development provided you will work towards excellence in the following areas:
- Carry out testing on site to assess material strength and flexibility under stress against specification requirements
- Maintain high standards of work and compliance with UKAS accreditation requirements
- Maintain equipment calibrations and notify the lab manager of any defects requiring attention
- Proactively communicate within the team to ensure effective performance
- To comply with laboratory and site safety procedures
- Responsible for maintaining training records
- Comply with the site quality system for materials testing laboratory, developing an understanding of materials reporting
- Analyse test results and produce reports that inform project engineers and managers against agreed deadlines
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3 Laboratory Technician) provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers in material testing and related areas.
- Technician IOM3 Professional Membership (TIMMM)
- Engineering Technician IOM3 Professional Membership (EngTech)
This pathway also offers the participant an opportunity to work in a variety of settings, supporting a wide range of engineering projects.
The experience & qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
The role of a Materials Technician involves regularly lifting samples and equipment which can vary in weight. There may be occasions where you will need to lift up to 25kg. BAM are committed to ensuring that, where appropriate and reasonable, adjustments will be made to accommodate those who may struggle with the physical nature of the role
Please note, priority will be given to candidates living within 1 hour of the site location.
- Proactive in identifying problems & defects
- A flair for maths and IT and how It benefits Construction
- The role of a Materials Technician involves regularly lifting samples and equipment which can vary in weight
- There may be occasions where you will need to lift up to 25kg, BAM are committed to ensuring that, where appropriate and reasonable, adjustments will be made to accommodate those who may struggle with the physical nature of the role
- The ability to use your initiative
- Willing to travel to various locations across the UK
- Be willing to work outside of a pre-defined scope to help the team move through initiatives
- Committed to self-development
- Accurate and meticulous person
- Creative and innovative
- A strong team player
- Flexibility to work out of hours including night shifts and weekend working as required
- Flexibility to travel as required
- An interest in construction, science & laboratory testing
- GCSE (or equivalent) grade C/4 in maths, science and English
- Completed an Intermediate (Level 2) apprenticeship in an Engineering OR Construction discipline (or equivalent)
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills Level 2 in maths and English (if required)